Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,641   Online: 1175

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Developing HP5+ in D-76 1+1

So the old abage "better is the enemy of good enough" holds once again.

I've changed my old trusted Rodinal in which I used to develop HP5+ for D-76. Being a bit worried about excessive contrast, I diluted it one to one and develop the film - which, as far as I recall, exposed at 320, if it matters - for 11 minutes. The time was taken from the film box.

I haven't made the prints yet but it looks to my unexperienced eye as the negative was lacking contrast, a bit underdeveloped. Is it the characterstics of diluted D-76 or the time was too short? DigitalTruth says I should have bathed the negative for 13 minutes.

Once I've listened to what vendor says and it happened to be not the best idea.

What are your experiences with 1+1 D-76 and HP5+?
    Last edited by lgrabun; 12-30-2008 at 06:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Lukasz Grabun
    My webpage: grabun.com
    My latest photos: click here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What kind of agitation did you use?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    10 second agitation every 30 seconds for the first three minutes, then 10 second agitation every minute.
    Lukasz Grabun

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lgrabun View Post
    So once again the old abage "better is the enemy of good enough".

I've changed my old trusted Rodinal in which I used to develop HP5+ for D-76as far as I recall, exposed at 320, if it matters - for 11 minutes. The time was taken from the film box.
    I haven't made the prints yet but it looks to my unexperienced eye as the negative was lacking contrast, a bit underdeveloped. Is it the characterstics of diluted D-76 or the time was too short? DigitalTruth says I should have bathed the negative for 13 minutes.
    Once I've listened to what vendor says and it happened to be not the best idea.

What are your experiences with 1+1 D-76 and HP5+?
    I expose at E.I.400 and develop for 13 minutes, but the ISO and/or development should be adjusted if it doesn`t work for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    10 second agitation every 30 seconds for the first three minutes, then 10 second agitation every minute.
    Lack of agitation could be part of the problem. I have not used this film developer combination much, but I generally find that high speed films exposed with an EI close to box speed needs agitation every 30 seconds when developed in D76 in small tanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ahh, I didn't have any HP5+ boxes left, but I had a look at the Ilfordphoto.com website and in the pdf on dev.times I can see the error. The times for ID11 and D76 differ. They shouldn't to that, as these two developers share the same receipe. Use the times for ID11 and you will be OK.
    (It's the same thing with Ilfotech HC and HC 110, which as far as I know are the same developers too. For some films the times are the same and for some films there's a difference.)

//Bj÷rn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Print the negs on your normal grade paper. If they are too flat, go to a higher grade paper for them. For later rolls, increasing development time by ca. 20% should increase neg contrast by about one grade of paper. Use ASA standard development of agitation five seconds each thirty seconds in a small tank.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Will give a try of your hints next time I have some HP5+ to develop. 10 second rotation every minute with R09 1+40 was right spot on.

By the way, is a three reel tank still a small tank? ;-)

@edtbjon: thanks for pointing this out. Will be more cautios with Ilford's datasheets.
    Lukasz Grabun

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

By the way, is a three reel tank still a small tank? ;-)
    Yes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Uhner View Post
    Yes.
    What is a big tank then? :-)
    Lukasz Grabun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin