Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,249   Online: 1008

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, why not take fogged film and shoot fog with it? Seriously. Here in the Adirondacks, we don't get much of a winter anymore. We'll get a nice snow and everything will be fluffy and nice and then it rains and then freezes everything into concrete. However, before it freezes again we sometimes get some lovely fog and I try to take advantage. Fog is great for shooting the open woods in the parks and for photographing cemetaries. Grain adds to the mystery.

Now, I've never been to SK, but I'd guess you get fog every now and again. What the 'ey.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Heck, I use expired Kodak 2475. That was ISO 1000 film, and my 35mm stock expired in 1984. (Frozen all the way.) Of course, I have to pull it hard, exposing at EI 200, and developing in DD-X. Took two rolls to get a good developing time and EI. Yeah, it's got base fog, something like density 0.4 to 0.6 if I remember correctly.

Next adventure here is 2475 sheet film. I bought the recent lot on eBay, 4 boxes of 4x5, expired in 1967, storage utterly unknown. I'll be working up developing times with HC-110, and a proper EI.

Yes, of course the density range of the negatives is limited. But if you pull the film enough, you can get a reasonable scene brightness range. But, oh that 2475 grain...

So you can do the same with Delta 3200. But the grain isn't as interesting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shot a roll of 120 Delta 3200 that was outdated & badly stored. This was a few years ago & the result was very under exposed with high base fog as you expect. So perhaps a test roll or two exposing at 1,000, 800 etc. As for dev you could try adding some benzotriazole if you have any. I tried this recently with some old glass negs & it made a noticeable difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm actually surprised that so many people think I should try to get some results out of it. I honestly expected most of you to say "Toss it!" and one or two to go "It's garbage, but if you mail it to me, ...".

I've tossed it in the freezer for now, but I will fire a roll through my Bronica soon and see what I get.

I normally shoot Delta 3200 at 1000 (I really like the results I get at this speed, and I very seldom need an emulsion faster than that).
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd say shoot it at 640 or lower at first to see what you get out of that, and then go higher or lower as necessary to produce the effect you want.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello PhotoJim.

Ok, I never needed to use seriously expired film, not even slow, but why don't you bracket and see what comes out? Set a realistic upper limit in speed, say 800 ISO. Then shoot the same scene, but with longer exposures. Shoot 6 frames for 2 different scenes. Then pick a development time that seems reasonable and develop the film. Make a contact sheet and see what the best EI is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I assuredly will bracket.

I have no need to use this film - I'm just curious. (If you saw my freezer and saw how much film I have right now, you would probably shake your head. )
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    I (If you saw my freezer and saw how much film I have right now, you would probably shake your head. )
    ...or stare in awe and envy?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    I assuredly will bracket.

I have no need to use this film - I'm just curious. (If you saw my freezer and saw how much film I have right now, you would probably shake your head. )
    Now I know who to call if I need to borrow a roll or two
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why bracket for 15 rolls to make sure you get good exposures? If you shoot three pix per composition, that's like having only five rolls. Just do simple film speed and normal development tests and you are set for the remaining 13 rolls.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-01-2009 at 11:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin