Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,710   Online: 813

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Really, really old Delta 3200 - ideas? :)

My father-in-law passed away in June. He was a pretty avid photographer (I joked at my wedding reception, when I married his daughter, that he we welcomed me to the family by building me a darkroom in his basement ) but over the past few years had migrated to digital, as so many have.

My mother-in-law is gradually going through his things and I am getting piles of things photographic now to use, discard or sell. One of the things is a fairly large pile (probably 15 rolls) of Ilford Delta 3200 film in 120 format. Unfortunately, it's 2002-dated and I know it wasn't frozen. I don't even think it having been frozen would have been much help, given its speed.

So, I know the base fog level is going to be ridiculous.

My instinct is to discard the film (don't worry, I'll recycle the film spools, backing paper and boxes). But is there something useful I could actually use the film for?

And if you think there's something useful you could actually use the film for, and promise to actually use the film, you might even get it. You never know.

Jim
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My experience has been that with b&w age doesn't really matter. I've been prining on some graded paper that expired in 1968! If the age fog exists and is uniform you'll just print through it. If you don't trust it, send it here and I'll shoot something on it (and cover shipping)

-edit-
    Funny, I have a Graflex Pacemaker, a Yashica Electro G, and a Bronica SQ-a as well! Nice setup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd shoot it.

I really have no qualms about shooting outdated film. Any outdated film. I've used Plus-X that was from the year before I was born.

I've been wanting to try development in coffee-based developers. I don't see any reason to just junk a film because of a little (or a lot) of fog. I'd experiment with it before doing that.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Get a Holga camera and go crazy!

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, get the Holga. Why not!

Other uses: shoot it and dev in HC-110 or Diafine. Both are said to be great for outdated film.

Use it as a seasoning film for new batches of Diafine or PPD devs (Sease, 777 and the like)

Find someone else who's learning MF and let them have it. If nothing else, donate to the local college/high school as rolls to practice loading reels with.

On the other hand, 'o2 wasn't THAT long ago, the fog may be less than you think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    find out if the film has lost any speed, check the base fog to see if it is managable and go out and have fun. If the base fog is not too bad and if it has lost a stop or two you could focus on getting really gritty images -- maybe pulling it a stop or two to enhance the effect. If you decide to toss it, I'll buy it from you instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm expecting it to be really awful. Fast film really doesn't age very elegantly.

Among the film is an unopened 100' spool of HP5 Plus, but I'm going to give it a whirl since it's only ISO 400.

If there is a consensus that the 3200 might be worth shooting, I might give it a try, but I really am not going to be very optimistic!
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well the film fog will be bad but that just means you'll have to print higher contrast. Best to expose it at 1200, the regular EI, and process for that speed. That will diminish the fog. You could also try pulling.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can use it for pix where you want low contrast and grain...Delta's strong points even when fresh!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tiberiustibz View Post
    Well the film fog will be bad but that just means you'll have to print higher contrast. Best to expose it at 1200, the regular EI, and process for that speed. That will diminish the fog. You could also try pulling.
    There is no such thing as a "regular" EI, except as it pertains to an individual photographer. EI is a flexible thing that will vary from individual to individual and situation to situation. The ISO speed of the film is 1000.

Also, exposing and developing normally and simply printing at a higher filter will raise the contrast, but it will not solve the problem of the fog eating up shadow detail.

Pulling will exacerbate the low contrast. If anything, he will need to both overexpose to get over the fog threshold, and push to get it to have "normal" contrast. Once you get to a certain point of overexposure to get over the fog, however, you will not be able to do anything with pushing except to smash all of your tones onto the shoulder of the film, and also raise the fog level.

Basically, you will effectively be using pre-exposed film. There is a brief and easy to understand explanation of this in "The Negative", by Ansel Adams. The theory is the same. However, the difference is that he talks about precisely (and mildly) controlling the amount of pre exposure in order to tame deep shadows, while you are stuck with whatever the cosmic radiation gods have thrown at your film, and may not necessarily want to tame deep shadows.

At any rate, just so you can start figuring out the next course of action, I would start by doing a simple zone I test. If you don't have a densitometer, you can have a pro lab read it for you on their black and white densitometer, or use a step wedge on a light box to get close enough.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 12-31-2008 at 05:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin