Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,180   Online: 680

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Frozen Chemistry

I have a darkroom in my garage, and while it rarely freezes where I am, It does get very cold, and on occasion will freeze. Does anyone know of any issues with chemistry exposed to temperature variations such as this. I would also wonder about the summer when the chemistry will be over 90 and have to be cooled for use.

I wonder if I should keep the chemistry in the house and onlyu take it out to the darkroom for use.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never had chems freeze, but everything I've read on these here forums says you should not do this. The componants may/will come out of solution and not go back in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim is exactly right. Also be aware that the freezing point of various chemicals is not always the same as the freezing point of water. For example, the freezing point of glacial acetic acid is 15 degrees (high 50s in the old reckoning).
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have stored dektol in the freezer. It comes out of solution but when you warm it up and give it a stir it goes right back in. I also store my bottle of Glycin powder in the freezer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not advisable some crystallisation will take place and it can be a problem getting the solution to re-dissolve properly. You could use a very low powered heater to keep the temperature falling below freezing. Or as you suggest store the chemicals elsewhere during very cold spells.

Keep your lenses in the house, at low temperatures moisture can creep inside and if the lenses are used without careful warming up you'll get condensation on the inner glass surfaces.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Color chemistry (E6) should not be frozen, according to Kodak. You could put them in a cabinet and use a space heater to keep it at 60.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I froze my mixed E6 chemistry at the suggestion of someone in these forums who insisted that it was the way to go. Unfortunately, it ruined the chemistry and an entire batch of film. Never again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoneIII View Post
    I froze my mixed E6 chemistry at the suggestion of someone in these forums who insisted that it was the way to go. Unfortunately, it ruined the chemistry and an entire batch of film. Never again!
    Who was it!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Freezing chemistry or allowing it to freeze is a bad idea. Not going back into solution properly is only one reason, but after one reason, why would anyone need more reasons.

If playing in traffic will get you killed, that should be enough reason not to play in traffic. Of course taking you out of the gene pool could be a good reason for you to play in traffic.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Research your chemicals to make sure. Some chemistry, upon freezing, will seperate and are not remixable.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin