Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,568   Online: 1027

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had problems with photo flo residue in the past. I now keep a pail of warm water with bleach that I put the split reels in to soak and then use a toothbrush to fiinsh the cleaning. I let mine air dry and I'm ready to go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think we've all had issues with the Photo-Flo residue.

A good question is, does it cause any harm?

When I've had issues with it, I haven't noticed any difference in my results, other than my developer being pretty foamy.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Also if you use hardener, it may cause build-up on Paterson Reels, especially on the 2 BB pellets. I use Hot Water, Kaboom Bathroom cleaner and a tooth brush to wash my reels. I make sure the the two BB pellets are moving before I load in the bag.

KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my case photo flo residue never harmed my film because I couldn't get it on the reel. There were more than a few times I'd have to put the roll of film in a changing bag until I washed all the reels. I'm pretty religious with the bleach and toothbrush now and haven't had a problem since.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hardener should have no interaction in any way with Photo Flo or any other surfactant that I am aware of.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A soak in warm water (100F) and a toothbrush has worked for me. Cleanup is part of the process for me. Be consistant with it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use Bar Keeper's Friend.
    When she is not around, I use a vegetable brush on a handle, with Bon Ami, preferably in the cake. (vbg) That's the cleaner, on very soft cloths, which the old lab rats used to clean ferrotype plates. Anyone remember ferrotype tins?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Anyone remember ferrotype tins?
    Remember!? Heck, I still use them. Well not quite as intended. I have one mounted behind my sink for squeegeeing prints.
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Hardener should have no interaction in any way with Photo Flo or any other surfactant that I am aware of.

PE
    I ammend this with a comment.

There is a chance that sulfonic acid spreading agents such as used in dishwashing fluids could interact with alum hardeners in hardening fixes. IDK if this is the case for sure. I would have to test it.

But, since I don't reommend using dishwashing fluids......

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trexx View Post
    Remember!? Heck, I still use them. Well not quite as intended. I have one mounted behind my sink for squeegeeing prints.
    Ah, tradition.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin