Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,524   Online: 1019

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Best way to clean my reels?

Hi all,

usually, I have no problem with film developping. But these times, I have big problem with developing my 120 films. There are lots of developping zone on the edges of films, and there are marks on films. Well, I think that marks are temperature problem, but this is solved now.
    But the developping zones may be due to dirty reels. I always wash them after a development, but when I looked inside, I saw lots of silver dust ...
    So my question is: what is your best way to clean your reels?
    I usually use teeth washing tablet, but there are not so efficient to dissolve and discard the silver dust.

Help
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have never washed a reel, other than a rinse after processing, and I have never had reel-related processing issues. Are your reels metal or plastic? On stainless-steel spiral reels there really is no area for sediment to collect. Perhaps it is your agitation technique?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    They are Paterson Plastic reels.
    No I don't think it is due to agitation... cause I tried lots of things and always the same problem.
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thats why I use steel reels.....
    I would try a toothbrush with some toothpaste, if you can't reach into the corners far enough, use a tooth-pick.

Chlorine could do the trick but is hazardess, because any left will destroy your film !!!!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had problems in the past with the plastic paterson reels...

My issue has been with film getting stuck when making up the tank (sticky reels) I found that its caused by storage - you wash them after processing, but they acumilate dust and moisture when they are stored...

I find that washing them again in simple hot water, right before processing using a shower head (or any jet spray) and then using a hair dryer on them works wonders for my processing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    9 parts water + 1 part household bleach like Domestos works very well with plastic reels and tanks such as Paterson and Jobo. Fill the tank and agitate with this solution like you are processing films. After about 10 minutes, split the reels and use a tooth brush to remove any stubborn bits left, rinse well and dry. They will clean up like new. You might as well brush and clean the inside of the tank(s) as well.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Next time you develop film: remember how you put the reel into the tank and rotate the reel so the film scoops the fluid, this will avoid that the emulsion contacts the plasic. (clockwise or anti-clockwise)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use Biological washing powder and hot water first - leave them to soak & agitate occasionally

Then as Keith says - household bleach & hot water - but I usually use a stronger sol'n than 1+9 - more like 1+4 - then soak & agitate occasionally.

Also again as per Keith - Toothbrush & Toothpaste/toothpowder for the stubborn bits in the grooves

Rinse very well with lots & lots of hot water

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used hot water for over 50 years to wash reels and that is it, along with a soft brush.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have used hot water for over 50 years to wash reels and that is it, along with a soft brush.

PE

That's all I do, and have never had a problem with my plastic reels.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin