Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,735   Online: 1090

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

VERY OLD Xtol stock

While I was snooping around in the very bottom, back of the fridge in which I store film, chemicals, etc.etc in an unheated garage, I came across some VERY old Xtol stock. The date on bottles was 09/19/05, yes 2005. I had made this stuff up for a long since forgotten project and never used or opened any of it. It was stored in brown glass bottles that were well capped and no air space was allowed before capping. I was going to dump it and then got a bright (dumb?) Idea so I quick went out and shot a short roll of APX 100 and processed the film @ 1+1, 8min @ 22C using 30 sec. of inversions the first min. and 6 every min. there after, water stop and TF 4 fix. The neg's were perfect, I could not tell the difference between those and and the same film processed in fresh Xtol made up last week. So much for the doom and gloom I have read about the stuff going away in less than a year. The temp in that garage has varied from about 110f to around 32f since I mixed the stuff ( and then forgot about it) and the fridge is an Old GE built in about 1954. YMMV
    Last edited by mongo141; 01-05-2009 at 05:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We should make this a sticky so that it's easy to reference the next time someone asks how to deal with Xtol's (supposed) tendancy to go bad.
    Last edited by bdial; 01-05-2009 at 08:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Good news! The secrets of your success: Dark colored glass and no air. Is the fridge running? Another myth busted! I keep my Xtol in a wine in a box bladder in my fridge. I was told not to do that because one of the chemicals would drop out of solution. So far, so good since August, 2008.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I may just leave it there and just go do a clip test every few years, find out how long it will REALLY last.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep the old machines still runs, I think my father put a new compressor in it in about 1958, Good old machine.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Xtol doesn't suffer from SDDS
    Kodak cured it

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sun of sand View Post
    Xtol doesn't suffer from SDDS
    Kodak cured it
    did they do anything to cure sudden death syndrome besides
    NOT suggesting extreme dilutions like "1:10 for contact printing" (like they used to) ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would toss it. Not worth it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    did they do anything to cure sudden death syndrome besides
    NOT suggesting extreme dilutions like "1:10 for contact printing" (like they used to) ?
    IIRC the problem was some packaging issues with some 1L packages of Xtol at one point, so Kodak dropped that size, but the rumours of it suffering SDDS persist. I don't think I have ever used Xtol, back when I did a lot of film developing I used D76, then switched to ID-11 when I converted to Ilford in the late 1970's. Now debating developers again, I have some 2 year old DDX concentrate I was going to give up on, now reading this, I am not so sure, need to test it before tossing it.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Apart from sudden death issue which I hear was solved before I even stated using xtol, my experience suggests that xtol is vulnerable to oxidation and kind of container really matters.

Some of my xtol, not even stock but 2x concentrate went bad after only 10 months tightly in capped bottle with no air, which was not opened during these months. The problem was the bottle - one sold as photo chemistry but in fact unlined HDPE crap. I think that somtime before ID11 survived quite long in the same bottle.

Hovever I kept some of xtol from same batch in black pvc bottle, opended this one two or three times to use it and filled it with lighter gas. That one was ok.

From what I've read on net HDPE has quite a gas permeability while Glass, PVC at PET is ok. Now I keep my xtol in 250ml and 300ml glass bottles with metal caps they sell fruit juice here. It seems to me that what's good for food and drinks is good for developers. They do use inert gases in food industry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin