Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,686   Online: 747

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toning Troubles

I am working on a print that needs absolutely neutral blacks.... The kind of black that Agfa Classic FB has, however, I have had problems with the Agfa emulsions separating from the base at the corners during washing and I would like to use a heavier weight paper.

I have a lot of Ilford Warmtone FB paper it has a heavier paper base that stands up well... but I despise it's sick green colour when untoned. I have tried several dilutions of selenium(1:7 the weakest) and it splits on me every time green/purple. As I said, I have a lot of this paper so I would like to get the toning under control. Is there a method of toning that I can use on the Warmtone to bring it toward the neutral blacks like the Agfa? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thank you Aggie...... I have yet to try gold toning, looks like now is the time!

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Annie,
    Try the selenimun at about 1:20 and see if it splits on you. It might if it is left to long in the se. Try for under 5 minutes and see if you like it.

lee\c

Thanks Lee! ...... no split at 5 minutes & the tonality looks good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie
    Thanks Lee! ...... no split at 5 minutes & the tonality looks good.
    Is that with the Warmtone or Agfa?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What fixer are you using? T4 fixer from Photographer's Formulary only requires 60 seconds for fiber paper, and less washing time. if the problem is length of time in the wash casuing the seperation, reducing the wash time may help.

In summary...

- at 1:20 neither paper tone splits, and each tones to their most neutral black... I still prefer the look of the Agfa.

- at 1:7 the Warmtone splits, the Agfa moves toward a lovely warm maroon.

- I use Agfa FX Universal (ammonium thiosulfate) for both film and paper, neutral pH and dirt cheap.

- the Agfa has the best look of any paper I have tried it has absolutely neutral blacks right out of the fix. It would be my preferred paper but the separation at the corners is a real problem it starts 10 minutes into the process. I wash in trays. I even thought of buying the 16x20 and cutting the finished prints down to 11x14.

- the Warmtone was free so I just wanted to see if I could get a look I like with it.

I guess I am still looking for my ideal silver paper!! Thanks...... Annie.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may have a bad batch of paper. I have used the Agfa Classic 8x10 and 11x14 and never had the problem you are describing, even with a 60 minute bath after HCA and regular hypo. It has been over a year, so maybe they have changed the paper in some way.

Jim... that is good to know. I phoned my supplier about the problem and they said I was the only one to mention it. I am making the long drive to civilization this week so I will pick up a box of the Agfa and give it another try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin