Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,844   Online: 724

Thread: Warm tone paper

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Warm tone paper

I am uneducated in this but why is warmtone paper so much more expensive than neutral tone paper?
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    at first blush, volume of sales. Plus smaller sales means smaller batches of chemistry, which likely takes the same amount of labour to mix. coat, package, etc.

I also suspect to get the warm tone there imay be a side effect of more silver in the product.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the price difference is mainly due to the lower sales volume of warm tone papers. The manufacturer can't exploit economies of scale as much for this product. The overhead of making, distributing, and selling the product has fixed costs which are spread out over a smaller number of units.

As for the amount of silver in the product, well, maybe, maybe not.I don't think that there are many of us here with resources to determine that. I'm fairly sure that the differences are slight and don't come anywhere near the cost differential you see on the shelf. The main difference, I believe, is in the ratio of silver chloride to silver bromide in the emulsion and, in some brands, the off-white color of the paper base.
    Last edited by fschifano; 01-07-2009 at 08:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As others have said, volume. But I suspect that there are two other considerations

First, warm tone papers carry a sense of greater value and therefore can demand a higher place in the market. Think of it this way - you expect to pay a higher price for a Volvo than for its American Ford cousin because the Volvo has a market image of higher quality. The same consideration applies to photographic paper - if there is a market perception of higher value, then the manufacturer can command a higher price. Perception becomes its own reality, regardless of whether it is actually true.

Second, competition. How many papers are out there competing for a share of the warm tone paper market? If there are fewer competitors in a market space, the prices in that market will be higher. Conversely, if there are more competitors, prices will be lower.
    Louie

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin