Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,401   Online: 898

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spiral problems

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A question, do you remove the tape from the end of the film? There may be a minimal light leak in the tank, raising the base fog uniformly, except where it also reflects off the tape.

I've just processed five films and cut the end tape off: none of the films show the band/marks. I'll keep trying this - thanks TR and archphoto

If you have a different reel/tank system, like Stainless Steel, and in using it the band disappears, this would confirm the finding.

Thanks for the suggestion Fotch. I've recently bought a small stainless steel tank in case I couldn't solve the problem, but all my big tanks are the Paterson system 4, so I'd rather try to solve it if possible. Nobody else I've spoken to has come across the problem, so I assume it's something I'm doing.

Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Steve,

If the tape ends and markings correlate, then you're clearly on the right track.

But what a bizarre situation to have a light leak reflecting off of the leader tape and causing localised fogging!!

What are the chances of this occurring? You'd need to have the spirals in the exact same location each time in relation to the light leak.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've processed some more film, again without problems. I am wondering, in light of the fact that at one point the marks took the shape of the cut end of the film, whether developer was being held longer where the film touched in the reel at the 8th frame. Anyway, thanks to all who replied; I'm hoping the solution will be permanent.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by formPhotography View Post
    I've processed some more film, again without problems. I am wondering, in light of the fact that at one point the marks took the shape of the cut end of the film, whether developer was being held longer where the film touched in the reel at the 8th frame. Anyway, thanks to all who replied; I'm hoping the solution will be permanent.

Steve
    Steve:

The problem with this analysis is, as I understand it, the film is not touching the emulsion side of the film, but rather it is touching the back of the film stock.

Matt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin