Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,574   Online: 1023

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you use a cloths iron to iron a print flat or even a low heat craft iron that is like a small cloths iron?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Can you use a cloths iron to iron a print flat or even a low heat craft iron that is like a small cloths iron?
    I've done this on a number of occasions with a piece of blotting paper on top of the print for protection.

I use the "cotton" setting on my iron and it works very well. I iron over the blotting paper several times, turning the print over between ironing.

Works quite well for me - but I'd check the settings on the iron you intend to use on a test print - don't want any nasty surprises with that masterpiece you just completed. . . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. I'll give it a try. I must say I have fallen in love with the Fiber Base and I don't think I want to go back!!! It's so nice. It seem to me like my Ilford Muligrade FB that is supposed to be glossy isn't very glossy so I am curious as to how matte the other surfaces are.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your FB glossy paper would have a high gloss even more appealing than RC if it were dried using a ferrotype plate. Hard to get these days, I imagine. You might try squeegeeing an FB print on to a sheet of glass which has a very thin coating of paste wax and letting it dry. I have nver tried this but remember reading it in a book many years ago.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is glossy I guess but a diffrent glossy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is glossy but also has a texture. Ferrotyping gives the paper a smooth as glass high gloss finish. Personally I prefer the finish you get just by air drying.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    35mm

An Old Trick

Place two fiber prints face to face after removing all excess moisture. Put them between two pieces of blotter paper (the ones used for desks are ok if they are white). Put a big book over the sandwich and allow the prints to dry. When dry, undo every thing and the prints will fall apart very straight.

Another option is to get an electric print dryer off ebay and use it--on low. If the canvas looks soiled or chemistry stained, first wash the canvas in warm water (not hot, it will shrink) and mild detergent. Let it air dry.

Shooter
    Large Format
    water colour tape, i would not use anything else ever with fibre

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Joining the FB Novices Club here... I've been reading all the thread and, since ferrotyping is not an option at the moment, I am looking for some more bread and butter solution.
    I tried ironing with a clothes iron today, putting the test print (Ilford Multigrade FB glossy) between two cotton sheets... Well, I ironed for some minutes, cotton setting, but the print is possibly a bit curlier than at the beginning of the treatment. Any inputs?
    The print was COMPLETELY dry, shall I do this while the print is still damp?

Another question: I have a glass table in my darkroom area. I've read that a good practice is squeegeeing the print on glass and letting it dry face down. Are we sure that the emulsion won't stick to the glass? What about letting the print dry between two panes of glass? Too little air to dry the print?

Lots of questions, sorry... Forgive me, but it seems like I got the processing right enough, it feels stupid to be stuck with the curl..

Thanks for your insights :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back in the day we used a commercial product which contained, I imagine, either ethelyne or propolyne glycol. Beware, ethelyne glycol, a constituent of auto antifreeze, is poisonous, causing kidney failure! Its cousin, propolyne glycol, isn't. The prints were soaked in this stuff after the usual wash. As I recall it helped, at least some. I think the glycols are hygroscopic; their presence in the print's fiber base would encourage them to retain some moisture and thus not curl, at least to some extent. Perhaps this will jog another member's memory....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin