Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,690   Online: 743

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Bob. I'll get a sprayer to try.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Uneven Rate of Drying

Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    When I remove prints from the dry mount press I often have
    wrinkles at the short edges. At times they have been wrinkled
    enough to become pleats. Happens on 1620 and 2024 paper
    most often, but does happen on 1114 from time to time.
    Anyone know of the cause?
    I was having the same problem, wavy edges, using my
    corrugated board stack dryer. The prints were drying faster
    at the edges. By increasing the print's overlap of separator
    sheets and corrugated board the problem was eliminated.
    All four edges very straight and smooth. Still that gentile
    bend towards the emulsion side after setting out but I'm
    working on that.

Are you mounting or just drying? Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I generally just dry them, but do mount exhibition prints. Even on dry-mounting the pleats have appeared. I was wondering if newer papers required shorter wet times than those I grew up on.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I generally just dry them, but do mount exhibition prints. Even on dry-mounting the pleats have appeared. I was wondering if newer papers required shorter wet times than those I grew up on.
    Nah, that isn't it. I've left FB paper in standing water for multiple days, summarily washed them afterward, dried, and pressed them without issues.

Have you checked the pressure settings on your press? Remember that the lever arm should be 45 degrees with the press loaded with mat board and cold.

http://www.jbhphoto.com/articles/dmadj/dmadj1.htm
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't think it was wet time, I used to wash forever after long, long days printing- and now I'm only able to print for a five or six hour stretch, paper is wet half as long at most.

Not just my press, I've had it happen with my old, old press which finally gave up the ghost and the newer old one, plus a very nice and finely tuned giant one a friend had in town. I'm hoping the humidity is the answer. Just pressed a bunch of things Wednesday, so I've not have enough of anything for a week or two before firing up the press again.

Excellent link- thank you.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Not to be a wisenhiemer, know it all, but it is the dryness of the paper for sure, when you sprits the back it still may not be enough.
    If you can make a humidity tent around your press or move the press to a room where you can pump up the humity, let the prints absorb all the good moisture in the air and your problem will most definately go away.
    This is a common problem here in Toronto during the winter months.
    I didn't think it was wet time, I used to wash forever after long, long days printing- and now I'm only able to print for a five or six hour stretch, paper is wet half as long at most.

Not just my press, I've had it happen with my old, old press which finally gave up the ghost and the newer old one, plus a very nice and finely tuned giant one a friend had in town. I'm hoping the humidity is the answer. Just pressed a bunch of things Wednesday, so I've not have enough of anything for a week or two before firing up the press again.

Excellent link- thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I may just press in the summertime??

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    We really control the moisture in the air before pressing.
    I hate those pleats/kinks , they seem to travel a bit so trimming them out is sometimes not a option. We do leave large borders now on critical jobs so that if these nasties do occur we will trim.
    Not sure how big your pressing room is , but a good humidifier and closed doors over night should do the trick for the days you want to press. Let the prints and slip covers sit in the room, then give the slip covers a quick press and you should be fine.

I may just press in the summertime??

Shooter
    35mm
    To flaten my fiber paper after it is dry, I lay it between pillow cases and iron it (low temp. setting).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    With F.B. papers I peg them onto a line in back to back with a clothes peg at each corner,I find wooden pegs work best, and when they are dry they are almost flat, then a few hours between two mounting boards with some thing heavy on top flattens the print nicely,works all the time and has done for a number of years,no hassle,Try it,Richard

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin