Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,552   Online: 1160

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but wasn't there some talk a while ago of Ilford coming out with a flat-drying fibre paper?
    To be honest, I find most fibre-based papers dry pretty flat these days, including Ilford papers (though this may be helped by fairly benign climate conditions). Although it would be nice to have a paper that dried dead flat (the agfa classic adox replacement samples were good, as was agfa classic itself) I'm not sure I personally would choose to buy a paper for that reason alone - it would have to have other qualities.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal View Post
    Just wanted to mention that I finally tried dancqu's stack
    method of drying and the result was perfectly flat prints.
    No edge waving or any other issues. Took about 4 days
    to fully dry. Thanks Dan.
    I'm pleased at your success. Not the quickest way to flat and
    dry. It does help though that the two steps are simultaneous.
    Can't be any other method so low in cost which will produce
    flat AND dry. And do it gently with out a plug.

I've been shopping for suppliers with thoughts of offering
    units on a commercial basis. With your favorable results
    I'm encouraged in that endeavor.

BTW, did you find some of that hydrophobic non-woven
    sheet material I've mentioned? Interfacing? Fabric stores
    carry the stuff and the firm surfaced works well. Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Dan,

I used interfacing and corrugated board boxes that I cut to size. Cost about $3-5 dollars if I remember correctly.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have finished my first box of Oriental's warmtone fiber-based paper, struggling with this flatness issue most of the time. I finally decided to shell out the $100 or so bucks for a print dryer - you know, those electrostatic ones B&H sells - and am pleased with the results. While nowhere near as flat as a RC print, they are acceptable, and the dryer accomodates up to 11x14 paper, which is currently the largest size I print. I will be ordering more fiber-based paper now.

Incidentally, a question for the printing experts out there - in Ansel Adams' "The Print" he mentions that the main longevity concern for RC papers is cracking of the resin layer. He mentions that furture improvements may make that a non-issue. Did those "future improvements" ever come to pass? If so, are they real or just marketing hype?
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I let my prints get almost dry (on a mesh rack face up), then I put them between acid free mat board sheets and weight it down until they dry. You can also iron them between mat board sheets...unless you're one of those guys that doesn't own an iron...
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Drying fibre based paper

What is the best way to dry fiber based paper - drying machine, blotting paper, print screen - or something else?
    Thank you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I prefer screens. After drying, I put them between blotting paper sheets, between two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood, with several heavy books on top, to flatten them.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Drying fiber base

I have used screens for the last 5-10 yrs and then flattened with a warm dry mount press until I started doing 16X20 which I found frilled on the edges when flattened with a dry moint press. I tried blotting tablets but found the interleaving paper wrinkled after the first use then left marks on my prints afterwards. So I am now using AnscoJohns methods of drying on a screen then pressing under blotter paper under weights. It takes more time but provides extremely flat prints at minimum risk of damage. I would shy away from a heating style dryer.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm still promoting my corrugated board stack dryer.
    It uses non-woven hydrophobic sheeting as separator
    material rather than blotters.

Search for, interfacing, OR, corrugated. Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Threads merged.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin