Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,622   Online: 693

Shooter
    Medium Format

Lith -Bleach & Re-development Process

I feel a bit embarrassed (read stupid) about asking this question but can't find it mentioned in Tim Rudmans books so here goes - does the degree of 'warmness' in the first development - e.g. warmtone paper developed in warmtone dev - as opposed to neutral paper in neutral dev. - give stronger and warmer tones after the lith development? Or are there too many other variables involved for it to make any difference?
    Thanks everyone. Patricia

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hello, Patricia. Everything matters with the bleach and lith redevelop, but yes there are too many variables to reproduce results consistently.

In general, if a normally processed print is to be bleached and redeveloped in lith, it is best that it is slightly "overdeveloped", or a little darker to begin with, and 1/2 to 1 grade less contrast than would normally be desired. You won't notice the loss of density in the blacks as much as in the highlights, as you will always lose some.

Have three or four identical prints going in, and be prepared to lose a couple.

There are examples in the Book of Lith of this process where the printer used Dektol initially, and they are gorgeous so obviously it works. Just speculating, but I don't think the initial developer is not nearly as important as the emulsion you are working with, and would stick with warm-toned lithable papers.

Also, you can achieve something of a solarizing effect if you flash the print while it is redeveloping. An on-camera flash will work. Not a real strong effect, but it's there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Whoopsie, no double-negative in paragraph 4. My educational learning facility was not accredited.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Neither was mine Rich but I understood you perfectly. Hadn't heard the tip about 1/2 to 1 grade less contrast so will give it a go next time I do a bleach/re-dev in lith session - plan to use Foma warmtone with Ilford warmtone dev this time round.
    Patricia

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Patricia,

There aren't stupid questions, especially when it comes to lith! Yours is a good one. Please keep us posted on your results.

Mark

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin