Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,210   Online: 838

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Images
    Aggie--We're on the same page then. The concentrate is, however, in small foil packets which must be cut open immediately before use. There's no practical way to use the old marble trick as with a bottle of HC-110 or T-Max Developer. I was simply wondering if refrigerating the sealed packets would prolong their life so that a supply could be cached in case Kodak drops the product. From the answers posted, I'm assuming that would either be a bad idea or would be of no particular value.
    jdef--Is TD-3 a liquid or a powder? How about cost? Have you tried it with anything besides Tech Pan?
    Again, thanks to all who took the time to respond.

Konical

Images
    Thanks--I'll look into it. If it's cheaper than Technidol, it will be worth trying.

Konical

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rodinal is probably the most economical dev on the market-try it at 1+200/300 for TP. Works v well for Maco ORT 25 at 1+200 for 10 mins (ISO 12).
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [quote="Black Dog"]Rodinal is probably the most economical dev on the market-try it at 1+200/300 for TP.

With Hugh Milsom we were using 1:300 and really vigorous agitation.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not only is it a very economical developer, I have found the higher the dilution the smaller the grain! I developed some Tri-X in Rodinal 1:100 and was expecting golf-ball sized grain. But suprise, he grain was not noticable and the prints had a great tonal range and were easy to print.

Later this evening I will scan the print I made in Locke (CA) and post it to the techical gallery

- Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As I understand it, grain size does not increase with Rodinal... It stays the same. Rodinal works very cleanly, and it leaves the grain sharply defined, in place of "smearing" the edges to give the illusion of fine grain.
    It is a high acutance developer, producing sharply defined edges, without grain "clumping".

I don't consider "grain" to be any sort of an "evil" anyway. Robert Farber made some wonderful images using grain as an aesthetic "tool" - Agfachrome 1000 reversal film pushed as many as two stops in developing.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ed:

I have seen really big grain using Rodinal and certain high speed films. Rodinal 1:25 and Kodak Recording film was like golf balls.

However, I am convinced that using a very high dilution you can actually see a finer grain when using Rodinal. I have posted a rather mundane picture in the Technical Gallery (Washing Line). Film was Tri-X and developed in Rodinal 1:100.

- Mike

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW. Maco (Docufine) and Tetenal (Neofin Doku) both make similar devs to Technidol. Also you can use HC110 (dil F) or Acutol at 1+20.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin