Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,154   Online: 824

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

looking to buy a dark room set

I am really new to film photography, someone is selling a darkroom set on craigslist, but since I have not much idea about brands, models, quality of things related to darkroom equipment etc... I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice about this darkroom package.

1.- is this set good for a newbie like me?
    2.- does it contain the basics to start developing and printing on my own?

Thanks in advance, here is the link to his post:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/pho/979620574.html

That looks like a great setup. You probably can flesh out the remaining things you will need for a reasonably small amount of money. (There is always something else you need . . .)

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's a pretty complete setup. Like Peter said, there may be a few odds and ends you will still need, but that is a pretty good one. Good lenses, good enlarger, and good easel. Make him an offer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thank you guys for the quick response and help. So the set will work and is not something really old etc... My other wonder is that I just realized I have no way to test if the enlarger is in good order, will work, is it broken?. I guess I am up to my own luck with that one?

Images
    Good Afternoon, Jaime,

I agree with the other comments. The items are standard, good-quality stuff. Check the lenses for clarity and proper aperture function. Check the enlarger for any obvious damage or missing parts; the picture is too small to be sure, but I see no visible problems. Enlargers are rather simple things, and most defects are not hard to spot. If you can get the entire set-up for a few hundred dollars, you should be OK.

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    just see if the enlarge bulb turns on and off. you should be fine.

just remember, people are almost giving darkrooms away! i turn them down all the time.

what format do you shoot? keep an eye out for an old DII by omega. it will handle up to 4x5.

i would say you should be able to get everything you need for under $100! especially if you are in the NYC area. i ma in kingston NY just 90miles N. if you need any help send me a PM or an e mail.

FWIW i got an 8x10 dever enlarger with a timer, 16x20 4 blade easel, the lens all for $200! smaller enlargers are much much cheaper. i got a 23 C like you are looking at 4 years ago with everything to get me going for $75!

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    here:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/pho/981053414.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pho/966440416.html

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/pho/953173328.html (i would offer 75-100. you should be able to get it for that. just call him if possible and talk. usually the phone does better than e mail. ask for a # to call him on)

good luck.

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking no more than $500, but he is thinking more like $800, he's got an offer already and will let me know. Are we talking to much money in here or price seems about right considering a new set will go around the $2000? If I don't buy this set I will go and do my homework, but if the deal is a steal I would like to get it and start getting my hands dirty with developing on my own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ups! while typing my email some of you guys posted and I didn't see those crazy rates, it seems like for $800 he is overpricing me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    eddie gunks, 35mm and Mamiya RB67 Medium Format (120).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin