Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,609   Online: 833

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Images
    I have, a long time ago. I got something that looked really cool, to me. It did have a greenish-bluish-silvery-ish color to it. It almost looked metallic. Pretty, but not as contrasty as I usually like. It was a look all it's own. I didn't keep doing it though. In fact, I think I threw all the color paper away.

edited to add; if you can get into photo.net you might still be able to see this. i can see it. i must have scanned it in grayscale because you can't see the color of it, but this is the b&w negative printed on color paper. http://photo.net/black-and-white-pho...g-forum/004a6o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. You have little control over anything but the color cast, however. This is how labs make automated b/w prints when you give them your Kodak C-41 b/w film, or a digital file. The cool thing is that you can "tone" a print however you would like. Bad thing is that you should have "perfect" contrast on the negative, since you only have a few papers from which to choose (Kodak Supra Endura, Kodak Ultra Endura Metallic, Fuji C, and Fuji S, and some transparency materials that are designed to be used in backlit displays). "Perfect" contrast for printing onto color paper is different than "perfect" contrast for printing onto b/w paper, so you have to shoot and develop for your intended print medium for best results. Also, all off-the-shelf color paper is RC, of course.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-10-2009 at 08:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    The question here was about printing color paper with black and white chemicals. The usual black and white paper developers would not activate the color couplers in the paper, so the cause of the greenish cast would have nothing to do with the color of the negatives or (probably) the color couplers in the paper. The utility of the idea is to be able to make good black and white prints from color negatives. Regular black and white paper, in general, can not do that. You need something with panchromatic sensitivity and high contrast. Papers like that used to be available (e.g. Panalure), but they are no longer around.
    The comment about the greenish tint was a B&W negative with colour paper done at a mini-lab, in colour chemistries. The OP I thought was talking about using colour paper as it's cheaper then B&W paper, unless someone has already tried it, someone should do some experiments......

My comment stands, using the proper materials for your prints is going to give the best results, and there may be cheaper ways to do it, if you think outside the box.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Color paper would possibly print B+W negs, but the contrast wouldn't match. You can process them in b+w chemistry, but there is not enough silver in the paper for a proper print. The DMAX will be very low.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you all for the responses. All in all it does not sound good for general printing but could be good if it's just some weird look you might be going for. It was just a thought. I stick to my regular paper.
    Leslie D. Wall
    AKA DeBone75

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin