Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,012   Online: 968

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

TRI-X 400, 320 TXP, and Arista 400

I've seen statements that Arista 400 from Freestyle is TRI-X made in the US by Kodak. If that is the case, is it TRI-X 400 or 320 TXP? In addition, what is the difference between TRI-X 400 and 320 TXP, technically and practically?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is the 400. The 320 version is not available in 35mm.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TXP 320 is a different film than TX400 (they really should have different names); they have different looks and the TXP 320 has a retouching surface. TXP320 is meant for studio use, but many folks use it for other uses.

Shooter
    35mm
    You need to be more specific. Just saying "Arista 400" refers not just to one film, but possibly four (or more?) different films from different makers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Arista Premium is rumored to be Tri-X. Arista.EDU Ultra is Fomapan.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    OK. For 4X5 Tri-X, my only choice is ISO 320. For 35mm Tri-X, my only choice is ISO 400, whether from Kodak or Arista Premium. Then, for Tri-X 120 I have a choice of 320 or 400. What would lead me to choose one over the other. I use 120 in a roll film back on my field camera and in an elderly twin lens reflex.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was always under the impression that the 320 Tri-X was more suited for controlled lighting within studios. There's a pdf on the Kodak site somewhere, or there should be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tri-X 320 vs 400

You can find Kodak's Tech Pub at:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...4017/f4017.pdf

It contains the characteristic curves for both films in 120 that I've attached here. From this you can deduce that the 400 version has a straighter response across the grayscale than the 320. The 320 has more of a curve with less separation in both shadow and highlight detail.

If you shoot the 320 slightly overexposed, and use a compensating developer, like Rodinal or Pyrocat, you can get similar results to the 400.

I hope that helps.

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tri-X-320-400.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Irvine View Post
    OK. For 4X5 Tri-X, my only choice is ISO 320. For 35mm Tri-X, my only choice is ISO 400, whether from Kodak or Arista Premium. Then, for Tri-X 120 I have a choice of 320 or 400. What would lead me to choose one over the other. I use 120 in a roll film back on my field camera and in an elderly twin lens reflex.
    My understanding is that TXP has a different curve, with a longer toe than TX.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, that's true. Works well in low flare situations where the lighting can be carefully controlled. But don't let that stop you from trying it outdoors. When I bought my Graphic View 4x5, the seller included about 75 sheets of Tri-X 320 with it. It was the only film I had for the camera when it arrived and naturally, I couldn't wait to try it out. It worked well, very well in fact.
    Frank Schifano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin