Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,351   Online: 816

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think for your intended purpose lith printing will allow you very good control of the shadows and highlights. Like Thomas, I would go for as much detail in this situation, particularly in the shadows. Lith is very good for controling highlights.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Print from High Contrast Neg

To the OP: Re - high brightness range.

The attached print is from Tri-X film, photographed inside the Wisconsin State Capitol in Madison. It's hand held as they didn't allow tripods, and shot at 1/60th of a second at f/4 with an 80mm lens on a Hasselblad camera. The windows had full sunlight coming through them. 1/250th second at f/16 would have been appropriate to capture them with normal development, but of course that would have left everything else completely without detail, or close to.

I shot the film at box speed, EI 400, and developed using semistand with Pyrocat-MC, at 1+1+100 dilution, 70*F, 13 minutes agitation for the first minute, then at 9min, 6min, and 3min for 10s (2 inversions).

This is a straight print, at grade 2, using Forte Polygrade paper and Ansco 130 developer. There is a bit more shadow and highlight detail in the print, but this gives you an idea about exposing for the shadows, and develop for reasonable midtone/highlight detail.

I didn't like the print very much, so I didn't take it further than to this work print. I'm glad it can serve a purpose here.

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Contrast.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Nunn View Post
    I generally find that if I have a negative that prints nicely as a regular b/w print then it works well for lith, too. If it's a pain in the ass to print as b/w, then it's a pain in the ass to lith.
    BINGO

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin