Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,123   Online: 1038

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Never had a problem with varying temperatures of standard chemicals. They're usually within 6-8C of each other, but mostly room temperature.

As far as developer itself goes, I've also never had a problem with this formula (which works with google calculator as well):
    new_time = standard_time * e(-0.081 * (cur_temp - 20))
    6 to 8 seems like too wide a range.

Also, I don't think it a good idea to use different temperatures because many developers have more than one reducing agent. Not all of the agents respond to temperature the same - temperature effects their activity. That can result in the agents not working in balance as they are designed.

My opinion, of course, so if it works for you withing your acceptable quality standards, I can't argue. I adjust the temperature to be on the safe side.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I keep everything in my garage. First, I put my two thermometers in a beaker of water (used for prerinse and stop) and my beaker of dev. Then I load my reel(s). Third, I check the temp. If its close to 68F / 20C, its easier to not bother heating and just adjust the times. If its far off (like it is now in January) I put hot water in a bucket, put my beakers of dev, stop / pre-rinse, and fix into the hot water and watch closely. When the temp starts rising, I pull the beaker out about the time it gets to 64. Sitting on the table, it normally keeps rising to right about 68F.

Lately, I've been washing direct from the tap, just judging temp with my fingers to get it about 68F. I rinse for about five minutes, and viola -- negatives.
    Nikon FM2n (20/3.5, 28/3.5, 50/1.8, 55/3.5, 135/2.8), Pentax 645n (55/2.8), 3rd Eye Cameraworks 6x18 (on its way)

http://kthompson.jalbum.net/KurtThompson/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I should have added a couple of things. One, as you are heating or cooling, stir occasionally so that your thermometer is measuring a hot or cold spot.

Speaking of cooling, I found ice water much, much more effective than just ice.
    Nikon FM2n (20/3.5, 28/3.5, 50/1.8, 55/3.5, 135/2.8), Pentax 645n (55/2.8), 3rd Eye Cameraworks 6x18 (on its way)

http://kthompson.jalbum.net/KurtThompson/index.html

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin