Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,465   Online: 831

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hi all,

I have a couple Unicolor drums that I've been using that leaks a small amount. I want to try PMK, but wanted to use sealed tanks. I read online you can try applying silicon to the seal, press tank and lid together, wait to dry, unscrew and ya got a new seal. No. tried once, and it ripped apart breaking the seal...tried again w. more silicon, and now I can't get it open! LOL

Anyway, I like being able to add chemicals in daylight...so I scrapped those BTZS tubes. Jobo has a single reel 4x5 tank for like $125...and that expert drum for 4x5 does 6 sheets at a time buts costs $250! Wow. Anyway, Xmas is coming and need to know what to get. I plan on using my unicolor/besseler motor bases for rotary processing.

Thanks for any and all ideas!!

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I cannot confirm this but have heard that those seals in the Unicolor can be removed and placed in pretty hot water and they return to their original shape and will be like new. Again, I have never tried this so if you try it and it works post again and let us know how it went.

lee\c

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    and that expert drum for 4x5 does 6 sheets at a time buts costs $250! Wow!

The problem with the Expert Drum from Jobo it is very hard to get the chemicals in to the drum. There is a hole for each film and the whole thing looks like a cylinder for a revolver (6 shots). The drum needs to be moving the whole time the liquid is being poured in or it will not fill correctly. Plus the diameter of the thing is huge and it will not make a full rotation on a Unicolor motor base. Maybe people in the engineering trade could modify it so that it will make a full rotation but it is out of my league to try and create something like that.

Myownself, I tray develop. With PMK I use Nitrial gloves and don't worry about it.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have tried the Unicolor drum seals in very hot water to try to stop leaks but the seals ended up stretching and now don't really fit properly. The leaks were worse. I then tried the silicon treatment and it didn't really stop the leaks fully. I then put the original Unicolor seal back in over top of the silicon and "WOW" - no more leaks! I've used the drum at least 10 times since and everything is still dry - not a drop! If you've put silicon in the lid already try it with the Unicolor seal back in.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want Jobo try the 2500 series tanks. The 2551 will hold two 2509N reels for 12 sheets. The 2521 will hold one reel and you can do 6 sheets. The 2583 and 2593 will let you use three and four reels respectively. In my experience you don't need the loader and guides, but they may make it easier.

You should also look at the Combiplan tank. I like mine alot and still use it over the Job most of the time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you go to Calumet, what you want is the single-sheet kit, which is a 2521 drum + 2509N reel. They're $42.00 and $30 each. I use this combination for 4x5 B*W, six sheets at a time, with hand agitation, with no noticable problems yet. On jobo's site they list a hand-roller base (unpowered), which would be more convenient than rolling across the sink and could be left in a thermal bath.

So do these 2521 tanks fit on the Unicolor motor base? Sounds about what I'm looking for.

Thanks Aggie, I'll keep an eye out...but if I'm asking for it for Xmas, Blake can pay for it lol!!

And Lee, Thanks for the info on that Expert drum..that filling regime is not for me lol

And brimc76, That sounds like an idea...I guess you used a pretty small bead of silicon, then the seal? I'd think, if you used too much silicon, then you couldn't get the lid and tank to fit together no?

Thanks for all the help!
    Chris

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes the 2500 series tanks fit on the Unicolor base.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I took at cheap art brush( maybe 1/4") and cut the bristles down about halfway. Then I put a bit of the silicon on the lid where the seal goes and used the brush to spread it out to the edges. It is a thin layer by the time you spread it out. Once it has cured or dryed just put the Unicolor sealing ring back in over top of the silicon. It will be a little bit stiff but you will be able to turn and lock the lid. I then put about 300ml of water into the tank and left it running while I went up and ate dinner and when I came back it was running fine with no drips anywhere to be seen.
    I found this tip on the largeformatphotography page posted by GreyOwl who is a member here in APUG, and it worked like a charm.
    Brian McDowell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin