Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,413   Online: 688

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Looking for Slavich Unibrom paper

I'm considering trying out Slavich Unibrom paper. I've seen scans of prints made on this paper, and I like what I've seen. I'm going to start out with a pack of 25 8x10 matte or semi-matte (I'm not a glossy fan) grade 2 paper just to try it out. If I like it, I'd like to move up to printing on 11x14 because I like to make 8x12 prints. I dont have to crop anything if I'm shooting 35mm, and I'll have a border around the print.

The problem is IF I like the paper and want to buy 11x14 sheets in the future, where can I get a pack of 100 sheets? Freestyle only has packs of 10 and 25 sheets of grade 2 matte and semi matte Slavich Unibrom paper (Unless i'm overlooking it somehow).

I have plenty of time to find a pack of 100 since it's gonna be a few weeks before I'm back in the school's darkroom. If I have to, I'd settle for buying a few packs of 25 sheets.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would give freestyle an email, they're the only retailer of Slavich paper. They may be able to prorate you on 4 packs of 25 sheets at a price more like 100 sheets.

Ben

Images
    Great stuff. It is contrasty, so it likes a relatively flat negative. I really like the single weight (glossy for me).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think Freestyle is the US importer of Slavich papers. If they don't have it, then it isn't in the USA.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcd View Post
    Great stuff. It is contrasty, so it likes a relatively flat negative. I really like the single weight (glossy for me).
    I've read somewhere (probably here on APUG that grade 2 Slavich Unibrom paper is more like a grade 3. That's the only think I'm nervous about. I'm teaching myself the Zone System, and I dont want a contrasty paper to make learning more difficult. Unfortunately, the Zone System isnt something that's taught in detail at the school I go to (a community college), so I'm learning it from books.

I know about exposure, how to develop and print negatives, and how to use contrast filters. I'm wanting to perfect my skills because I'm graduating in the fall, and I want to show off some more professional looking prints than I already have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The other thing to note about Slavich is that it can be 'played' around with in soft developers like selectol soft, or even a water bath to get mid grades and to take the oomph out of it being a punchy and under graded in it's contrast rating. It has many possibilities to get great results.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    The other thing to note about Slavich is that it can be 'played' around with in soft developers like selectol soft, or even a water bath to get mid grades and to take the oomph out of it being a punchy and under graded in it's contrast rating. It has many possibilities to get great results.
    That's cool. I might look in to that if I decide to go with Slavich. Thanks

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    I think Freestyle is the US importer of Slavich papers. If they don't have it, then it isn't in the USA.
    Freestyle is indeed the importer, and they've had it on their web site for about a year now, I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love Slavich Unibrom Grade 2 - Freestyle is where I get mine.

Marianne (Mayfair710) has posted some quite beautiful work using Slavich, in the galleries you might want to check out.
    Last edited by VaryaV; 01-26-2009 at 12:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    "I've read somewhere (probably here on APUG that grade 2 Slavich Unibrom paper is more like a grade 3. That's the only think I'm nervous about."

From least to most contrast, I have arrived at the following order: Ilford, Kentmere, Slavich. Still, I find I get more latitude within a given grade with a graded paper than with a variable contrast paper. I also keep several types of paper on hand, and make a chart with regards to contrast and paper speed so that I can easily print a negative on several papers with a minimum of having to start over. For 35mm, I try to expose and develop so that proof sheets look good on Grade 3 Arista II RC VC. This puts my negatives in a pretty safe zone, so that I can usually print successfully on Slavich Grade 2, or Kentmere grade 2 or 3. A package of variable contrast paper makes for a secure "belt and suspenders approach."

I would not want to be held to a single grade of paper when printing from a roll of 35mm negatives, though.

I really like the Slavich and Kentmere papers and appreciate that they are relatively reasonably priced. But, I use them because I prefer them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin