Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,827   Online: 907

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Pat Gainer and Pyrocat-MC

All of us learn from and have been inspired in our work by others. For me that list includes some of the early proponents of modern pyro staining developers, includiing John Wimberely and Gordon Hutchings, and even Barry Thornton whose Diaxactol formula appeared at about the same time as my Pyrocat-HD formula. I am also appreciative for the published research of Grant Haist, which has been a great resource. And Ron Mowery is a real living person, and friend, who has provided much inspiration and good advice.

Now, to the Pyrocat-MC formula. Some know of this, others not. The original Pyrocat-HD formula was developed in the late 1990s and has been available in kit from from various sources since about 2000. At this point one can buy it in kit form from many sources, both in the US and abroad. That includes Photographer's Formulary in Montana, which has worked with me extensively to refine the product.

OK, about Pyrocat-MC. Some years ago I set out to experiment with the Pyrocat-HD formula and came up with a very new developer that used metol in small amount to replace the phenidone in Pyrocat-HD. I called this Pyrocat-M, for the combination of Pyrocatechin(catechol) + metol. A few people mixed the formula, but it was basically not taking off. Then, Pat Gainer suggested a method for mixing the Pyrocat-M formula in glycol. For this he exchanged the metabisulfite with ascorbic acid, and proved an efficient method for mixing the various ingredients in glyol.

Not long after Pat Gainer sent me the key for this mixture I asked Formulary to start mixing Pyrocat-MC in glycol. It has proven to be a fairly popular developer.

Some time after Formulary started to offer the Pyrocat-MC kit I wrote Pat and offered to share any royalties from the formula. Pat replied that all he wanted was recognition for his part in the development of Pyrocat-MC. I have on many ocassions on this forum tried to convey that participation. Time has passed, and the link may have grown dim for some.

So I take this opportunity to again state the facts. Pyrocat-MC is the work of both Sandy King and Pat Gainer, in about equal parts as I see things. I thank Pat for his help, and now as always appreciate his wisdom and advice.

Hope this is clear. I wanted to write this now, because in some years the knowledge might disappear. None of us is getting younger.

Sandy King

Images
    I have been sitting here half an hour trying to think of what to say. The best thing I can think of is what you all know already. Sandy King is a gentlemean and a scholar.
    Gadget Gainer

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Sandy and Pat..
    Pyrocat MC has been my main developer the last two and half year and i don't see it being replaced anytime soon. It works well for both continuos agitation and semi stand, is very economical and versatile.

Thanks for making this developer accessible for those of us who enjoy mixing from scratch.

jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At a time when greedy, selfish, and dishonest people have so overwhelmingly wreaked havoc on our American and world economies, it's nice to see an unselfish, inclusive and generous acknowledgment of a colleague for no apparent reason other than just to do so. You go there, Sandy.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for posting this Sandy. I haven't tried using Pat's developers for film yet, but I have used his older formulas for printing. I have used both the metol and phenidone versions as mixed for paper and have gotten nice results. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Pat for sharing his knowledge with us, and to thank you for the Pyrocat family of developers.

Mike Sullivan
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sandy and pat -

thank you for your generous contributions to traditional photography!

john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I couldn't have said that better, John! Absolutely true.

I have used Pyrocat-MC quite a bit, and like it for its versatility. It's a great gift to the photography community, and so is having both Pat and Sandy participate, offering help and advice for those that wonder or in trouble.

We are thankful for what you do!

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    At a time when greedy, selfish, and dishonest people have so overwhelmingly wreaked havoc on our American and world economies, it's nice to see an unselfish, inclusive and generous acknowledgment of a colleague for no apparent reason other than just to do so. You go there, Sandy.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Sandy for writing this. Your contributions, and Pat's are done in a most generous and open manner that is very refreshing and much needed today. Thank you both!

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Sandy for writing this. Your contributions, and Pat's are done in a most generous and open manner that is very refreshing and much needed today. Thank you both!

Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Ditto what John said. I have been developing solely with Pyrocat-HD for four years now and have followed numerous discussions concerning its development over the years. Its been exciting to read Pat and Sandy's threads as these developments unfolded. Many thanks Pat and Sandy. (Which reminds me, I need to order some more of the glycol-based stuff!)
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin