Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,775   Posts: 1,516,668   Online: 1142

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Hardening fixer?

Friends -

It's time to buy some fixer and I'm looking at the Photographer's Formulary TF4, a non-hardening fixer.

It's true, isn't it, that the current Tmax films don't need a hardener?

Thanks,

Gary,
    East Snook, TX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No films from the major manufacturers need a hardener.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, you don't need a hardening fixer for TMax films. The only film (brand) that I know of where a hardening fixer is recommended is Efke film (which is also known as Adox CHS and maybe some other names).

//Bj÷rn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last night I order some TF4 from the Formulary, I was going to order it from Freestyle but they didn't have the quantity I needed and the Formulary is closer anyway. I have been using TF4 for a year or two now and really like it. I bought several gallons of distilled water for the new batch.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    TF-4 would be a good choice. It works quickly and well, and it washes out easily. Unless you have serious water problems, you don't need distilled water to mix it - tap water works fine. Modern films like TMax don't need hardener, but some older style films made in eastern Europe (and some specialty films) may benefit from it. Fixers with hardener usually require more wash time than fixers like TF-4.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin