Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,268   Posts: 1,534,353   Online: 828

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Read the massive wash thread by Greg Davis.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Adofix and my personal washing is quite vigorous for films.

First, fill and dump.

Fill, 30 inversions vigorously then dump - repeat 4 times.

Fill, 50 inversions vigorously then dump - repeat 6 times.

It takes 10 mins.

Finally wetting agent and dry.

*End result: Good musle build up and hopefully clean negs.
    Last edited by baachitraka; 08-30-2012 at 06:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    there must be. the fixer needs time to diffuse into the water.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How much does hypo eliminator or a wash aid affect wash times?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    there must be. the fixer needs time to diffuse into the water.
    Ralph, any idea how long does the fixer takes to diffuse into water. Mine is Adofix 1+10 = 300ml.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is extensive information on this in this thread, and the other thread where there are examples by Greg Davis. It varies with water and with emulsion thickness and silver content.

There are simple tests for wash times and fix times that can be purchased or mixed from scratch.

Some posts in a recent thread indicate that there may be problems with the Ilford method. Something that I have run into myself.

Read Mason's book on photographic processing. He gives the differential equation that I posted here on APUG, and which allows you to roughly calculate the wash rate.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Phenomenal waste of time, water, and effort.

Use a good hypo clearing agent like Perma-Wash and you only need two wash cycles of two minutes each,
    one before and one after the Perma-Wash.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In case anyone missed it, there is a sticky on washing in this very B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry subforum: Film Washing Test started by Greg Davis.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leigh, you are right, but then you have an extra pollutant to dispose of.

I have been working on a reformulated fix that works with a 15" wash time. Yes, that is 15", but it too introduces unique pollutants. I now have over 5 years keeping on prints as well. But, it needs more work IMHO.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is my first post to apug. PE, I think if you collected all your posts here you could create an encyclopedia of photography. Amazing.

I'm just getting back into developing film after about a 30 year break. I waded through the "massive wash thread" ( and the other massive one that pointed to it ) and it seemed to me that at the end of the day there's no answer except to test. I've seen hypo test kits but I'm not sure how to test for residual silver. And even if I get these test kits, it's not going to answer my fundamental question, which is more about safety than archival properties of my film:

I'm attracted to the Ilford wash method because of the low volume of wash. I have a septic system at my house and I don't want to mess it up by putting dissolved silver into it, and I don't want to pollute the groundwater here either. I can take up to 3 5-gallon containers to the hazardous waste disposal site whenever I want, but of course that means a trip. If I can minimize the waste volume I will minimize the number of trips. Ideally, something like the Illford method can get the concentration of silver down to a point where it won't be harmful to finish washing in my sink... but I don't know how to discover if this is true. Quite a few "Ilford washes" can go into a single 5 gallon bucket...

This place is pretty amazing.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin