Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,225   Online: 911

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

ADOX films. Where are the specifications?

Hi,

I bought some ADOX films; 4x5 ADOX CHS 100, 4x5 and 135 ADOX PAN 25.

But I cannot found any technical references for these films. Even starting points for developing times are hard to found. Some 135-film developing times are scattered around the web, but usually agitation is not described.

For sheet film and constant agitation. Nothing.
    Especially times for rodinal.

So I decided to do my own tests and brackeded ADOX PAN 25 4x5 film widely in Rodinal 1:100 with constant agitation: 5½, 8, 11, 16 and 22 minutes. Soon I will know

For ADOX CHS 100 I did similar bracketing set using Pyrocat-HD 1:1:100 and starting from 4 minutes, ending to 16 minutes.

So after all I will have the developing times - for a sheet film.

The 135 and 120 films are still mystery. Like are all the charasteristics of these films.
    Usually it is easy to find technical data of any film from it's manufactors web site (Kodak, Fuji, Ilford). And these specifications has lot of useful data.

But how come that ADOX does not have anything?
    Even the sheet film packages didn't have any short guide about developing recommendations etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Usagi View Post
    Hi,

I bought some ADOX films; 4x5 ADOX CHS 100, 4x5 and 135 ADOX PAN 25.

But I cannot found any technical references for these films. Even starting points for developing times are hard to found. Some 135-film developing times are scattered around the web, but usually agitation is not described.

For sheet film and constant agitation. Nothing.
    Especially times for rodinal.

So I decided to do my own tests and brackeded ADOX PAN 25 4x5 film widely in Rodinal 1:100 with constant agitation: 5½, 8, 11, 16 and 22 minutes. Soon I will know

For ADOX CHS 100 I did similar bracketing set using Pyrocat-HD 1:1:100 and starting from 4 minutes, ending to 16 minutes.

So after all I will have the developing times - for a sheet film.

The 135 and 120 films are still mystery. Like are all the charasteristics of these films.
    Usually it is easy to find technical data of any film from it's manufactors web site (Kodak, Fuji, Ilford). And these specifications has lot of useful data.

But how come that ADOX does not have anything?
    Even the sheet film packages didn't have any short guide about developing recommendations etc.
    I don't know about the ADOX CHS 100, But I have a strong suspicion that the PAN 25 is a modern version of Orwo NP-15. It is made by Filmotec, the successor to Orwo. I am planning to test this film myself, when my new darkroom is completed.

Mike
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Adox doesn't manufacture any film, they only redistribute it. (It's like having Absolut vodka redistributed and marked as Koskenkorva. Who could tell the difference? ) Jokes aside, the Adox CHS films are made by Efke in Croatia.
    If you check www.digitaltruth.com and their massivedevchart for "Adox CHS Art" you will find what you need.

Now, I don't know in which factory the PAN 25 film is made, but perhaps someone else knows about it. It shouldn't be a state secret.

//Björn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The whole ADOX - Efke - Rollei - Maco - Foma pattern. I cannot figure it clearly out.

First there was ADOX, then it sold licences to Efke somewhere at the sixties I guess, now there is still Efke, but it's films are sold as ADOX and as Efke. What ADOX film is which Efke?

And Rollei? Where are these films coming out? Renamed Maco films? Then Foma, does it sell only by it's own name?
    I have also heard some rumours that some Rollei films are actually old Agfa films. But who knows?

After Agfa ended it's B&W product line, then begun boom of new film brands. And most of those brands have really little documentation available on the web.

Please, could someone clarify this? I am lost in the film brand nightmare

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Usagi,

Efke, Foma and of course Agfa are manufacturers.

Agfa is still alive and kicking (as much kicking as the whole industry). They only sold their consumer imaging branch. They still produce b&w as well as colour materials.

Adox once was a german manufacturer. Their plant had been transferred to Croatia to form Efke.

Adox of today is a brand name of the german company Fotoimpex. They are a sales house but also have products custom manufactured.

Rollei is a brand name for the german company Maco. One can say the same of them as Fotoimpex.

As the number of actual coating plants is very limited there is some connection via products or manufacturers between all sale houses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have processed CHS100 sheet (in trays with constant agitation) in Rodinal 1:50 for 7 minutes. It was a while ago and this is just taken from some notes - this may provide a starting point for you.

I exposed it at 50ASA

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Usagi View Post
    Then Foma, does it sell only by it's own name?
    Foma sells under other brands. Arista.EDU Ultra from Freestyle is Foma. Don't know if there are any others around. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of the Ultrafine films from Photowarehouse are also rebadged Foma products.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi,

I found datasheets fpr Adox films here: www.fotoimpex.de
    It's in German. I could not find out whether there is an English version.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulrich Drolshagen View Post
    Hi,

I found datasheets fpr Adox films here: www.fotoimpex.de
    It's in German. I could not find out whether there is an English version.

Ulrich

Thanks Ulrich. I understand enough germany to figure every important thing out from these datasheets.

Now I have a lot of reading for this evening

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    I have processed CHS100 sheet (in trays with constant agitation) in Rodinal 1:50 for 7 minutes. It was a while ago and this is just taken from some notes - this may provide a starting point for you.

I exposed it at 50ASA
    Hi Matt,

I got a following results for CHS 100 Art in Pyrocat-HD 1:1:100, 24'C and constant agitation in tray (actually Paterson Orbital):

N-1 8 min EI 40
    N-½ 10 min EI 50
    N+½ 13 min EI 50
    N+1 16 min EI 50

It seems that CHS 100 Art in Pcat-HD is quite easy to develop. No worry that lousy developer misses badly. With times between 10-13 minutes you can get quite good 'N' development.

ADOX PAN 25 and Rodinal 1:100, 24'C and constant agitation in tray.

There I got a little unexpected results. This film responses to the rodinal really fast!

N 5½ min EI 16
    N+½ 8min EI 25
    N+1½ 11min EI 25
    N+2 16min EI 25
    N+2½ 22min EI25

I really need to test in rodinal 1:150 to get less contrast. I guess that Rodinal 1:100 would give N-1 around 4 minutes.

(all times are for diffuse enlarger).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin