Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,056   Online: 1036

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold Toning Azo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there a particular gold toner recipe that will shift the color of Azo towards blue? I tried a regular gold toner consisting of 1% Gold Chloride and Ammonium Thiocynate, but it did nothing but slightly increase the DMax. I gave a slight blue cast on some of my enlarging paper, so I know the solution is working. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    How about using selenium toner instead. Perhaps 1:50?
    Francesco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've tried selenium but the color goes from neutral to purplish/pink....no blue.
    RL Foley

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    develop Azo in Dektol and you should get a blue.

lee\c

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you might try "Blue Gold toner". I have not tried it on AZO as I don't use that paper, but it does shift to a blue cast to down right ugly blue on many papers.

THere is also a Gold Choride Blue Toner in Steve Ancell's book the darkroom cookbook you might try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Blue Gold Toner from Anchell's cookbook was the recipe I used. I will try the dektol, as I have a bunch of it laying around to be used. Thanks!
    RL Foley

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    oops! Forgot the formula for that toner. Did you try both are just the bluegold one? THe second has thiocarbamide and citric acid rather than thiocyanate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No just the first one. I don't have any thicarbamide or c. acid. I just tried developing it in Dektol and i have a nice blue tone. I'm going to try toning it in the blue gold toner and see if that does anything to the cast. Thanks!
    RL Foley

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    interesting. I will have to remember that . One of these days I am going to make some prints with AZO. One of my dealers gave me a box of 5oo sheets of 4 x 5 paper.
    I have used the bluegold toner after using hypo alum toner and the results were interesting. A cross between orange and red. Not as ugly as it sounds, but different. Was running some test for a project and thought , wonder what this would look like. The paper was Forte polywarmone plus. Didn't use if for the project but kept the print for an example for my students.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing about the 4x5 paper. I have found that it is usually of the old variety of Azo...usually around 30+ yrs old. While it still should print quite nicely, I believe it has a different formula from the Azo that is produced today, as it responds differently to toners and developers. I ran a few of the 4x5 sheets through this Dektol as well, and I got a neutral to warm color on the prints, while the current Azo produced a slight blue tone. I have also found that the old Azo goes from neutral to a pinkish/chocolate color in selenium 1:3.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin