Switch to English Language Passer en langue franηaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,635   Online: 1083

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Actually, the reason I'm concerned about getting it completely clean is that I've had some bizarre banding on some negs that I can't identify. I've ruled out every other cause I can think of. (I posted the problem on apug awhile back, and nobody else could identify it either.) So, this is my last idea. Once I get the tank / lid absolutely clean, if I'm still having the problem, I will be at a total loss.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sure it's not surge marks? Or a light leak?

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KB • PhotoRant • PhotoPermit • APUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know it's not a light leak. Not sure what you mean by surge marks?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs
    I have used photoflo in my tank, but not with the lid on! No photoflo has ever touched the lid, and that's where my problem is.
    The lid itself? Do you mean the black "intermediate" lid ... lightproof, where one can insert that silly little shaft to "rotate" reels? ... or the red "outside" lid that seals the whole works?

Either way... I do use some rather powerful "stuff" as a last resort (haven't done that for a while): Edwal "Tank and Tray Cleaner". The labels says,, "Contains Sulfonamic Acid (?). USE GLOVES."

That will take the plating off a *solid* brass monkey....
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ed, the spindle isn't for agitation (took me a while to learn this). But rotation of the reels inside the tank is not uncommon, and turbulence around the axis can be caused, leading to density variations along the length of the film -- "surge marks."

The solution is to use regular inversion agitation, and avoid partially-full tanks

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Ed, the spindle isn't for agitation (took me a while to learn this). .
    Oh. What *IS* its purpose??? :?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ed, the spindle, as I understand, is just for bubble shakeoff. I *think* (can't remember) that it was Lex that told me this (truth is, I haven't used the spindle for a long time anyway -- it's easier to keep the lid on and do the inversions while walking around the house doing chores every 30 seconds, heh).

Anyway, looking at the OTHER thread, Cheryl says the stripes are PERPENDICULAR to the roll. This argues (to me) that it's in the camera. A test would be to shoot a dummy roll in the darkroom (that is, shot through the camera with the lights off) and see if the problem persists. If yes, then it's processing -- if no, it's in the camera/exposure process.

Might not be a light leak per se -- dunno the camera (Bronica?) -- but it might be a particular lens with a chip, or dirt, or maybe the internal black flecking in the chamber is chipped and there's an internal reflection.

---

One other possibility -- are all affected rolls in the same batch? From the same bin at the same dealer? They could have been polluted by an environmental factor before exposure -- xrays, or maybe lying on a radiator somewhere.

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There's no light leak in the camera or lens -- I've tested that. It's only one roll per maybe 10 I develop that has any issue, and it's typically on 1 or 2 frames on an affected roll. It's happened intermittently over the past maybe four months?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Ed, the spindle isn't for agitation (took me a while to learn this). .
    Oh. What *IS* its purpose??? :?
    Actually its the rest of the tank assembly. The reels slide onto it and then the spindle kinda holds them in place. If it's left out if I'm not mistaken, you have more of a chance of light leaking in through the pour hole. It does make a complete conduit from the inlet to the bottom of the tank.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's the central core spindle, which is part of the tank assembly and essential to lihgt-tightness. Then there's the "twirly stick" which is frequently lost because nobody uses it. But it is for agitaton, and I have used it, and it works. Somewhat less spillage when doing constant agitation for 90 minutes (don't ask, it was a bad idea anyway to push-process in Beutler).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin