Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,043   Online: 889

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I always rinse my reels and tank right after using them, but still I have some junk building up inside the tank lid. I can't get to it to scrub it in any way I've tried. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks.

- Cheryl

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's weird, I've been using the same tanks for years and have not had any build up at all. Maybe the dishwasher would work?
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know there is special stuff (chemical) to clean tanks, but I don't know the name. Have a look on a photo webstore, Cheryl

Images
    I know that Jobo warns against using a wetting agent like Photo-Flo in their tanks because of an eventual build-up of [gunk] on the tanks and reels that is very difficult to remove. They suggest putting the Photo-flo in it's own resealable bowl and dipping the film through it after removing it from the reels.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Never had any build up in my tanks.
    I'd try good old domestic bleach, brings trays up lovely so hopefully it'll do the same for your tank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Borax is a very good cleanser for many things. Mix it with water for soaking. Mix it half and half with baking soda and use it as a gentle scouring powder.

Either may help.
    juan

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Darkroom Cookbook contains a number of cleaning formulae-also I bet Photogs Formulary etc sell something useful.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I know that Jobo warns against using a wetting agent like Photo-Flo in their tanks because of an eventual build-up of [gunk] on the tanks and reels that is very difficult to remove. They suggest putting the Photo-flo in it's own resealable bowl and dipping the film through it after removing it from the reels.
    Been there ... I haven't had any trouble, and I ignore JOBO's advice about wetting agents, faithfully. I think they might have the residue from a formaldehyde final rinse in mind .... I use Tetanal Color chemicals and they are advertised as "formaldehyde free".

One thing that works effectively (I do this periodically, just in case) is to disassemble the reel and scrub the tracks with .., a tooth brush. Hmm... I wonder ... possibly tooth paste would be a suitable mild abrasive...?

... I just re-read this ... "Kodak PhotoFlo." Uh ... I haven't used that for many, many moons - I found bullet-proof residue (nasty brown "drips" on my negatives) when used as directed - so I switched to Edwal LFN. No more problems.

That might have something to do with JOBO's recommendation.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks. It's not the reels that are the issue, though -- it's the lid inside where I can't reach to physically scrub it. The reels are easy enough to scrub free with a toothbrush.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't use photoflo either maybe that's why I don't get junk. So Cheryl do you use photoflow.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin