Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,753   Posts: 1,670,719   Online: 889

Shooter
    35mm

ADOX = AGFA + FORTE?

I heard ADOX is now starting to produce agfa and forte papers nowadays because they've acquired their emulsions and equipment. Have they produced an AGFA Portriga equivalent yet?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try reading Mirko's (the owner of Fotoimpex/Adox) posts in the Sponsors forum.

Forte is long gone, Adox is Fotoimpex's brand name and it goes on EFKE, Ilford, Calbe and other products either distributed by or made specially for the company, Mirko is extremely open and honest about the sources for all his products which is highly commendable.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 02-13-2009 at 12:25 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd very much doubt if Portriga will ever be manufactured again, particularly in it's original form... it was Cadmium enriched... heavy metals & their leftovers not being popular these days. Personally, I only wish it were possible... the few times I had this paper in my hands years ago I was a lousy printer so wasted most of it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Portriga-Rapid, is there now a graded glossy similar paper made to day.

mike c.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mike c View Post
    Portriga-Rapid, is there now a graded glossy similar paper made to day.

mike c.
    In a word, NO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ya I was scared some one would say that. thankyou for the reply though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Justin,

what you say is correct. We are trying to remake Agfa´s B/W product line and also we are trying to bring Polywarmtone back to live (see my thread about the Polywarmtone project: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum249/...tml#post785048)
    Also correct is that we have acquired emulsion making equipment and recipes from both companies.
    However we have to stay reaslistic here. It is hard enough to remake products which those companies were producing at last. Remaking older recipes would be extremely difficult, cost intensive, and probably impossible due to the fact that many substances which need to go in are not available anymore. If we substitute them we most likely will get a different product.

For now we are more than happy if we succeed with the most recent products.
    Additional adventures have to be postponed.

Best regards,

Mirko

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ADOX Fotoimpex View Post
    Justin,

what you say is correct. We are trying to remake Agfa´s B/W product line and also we are trying to bring Polywarmtone back to live (see my thread about the Polywarmtone project: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum249/...tml#post785048)
    Also correct is that we have acquired emulsion making equipment and recipes from both companies.
    However we have to stay reaslistic here. It is hard enough to remake products which those companies were producing at last. Remaking older recipes would be extremely difficult, cost intensive, and probably impossible due to the fact that many substances which need to go in are not available anymore. If we substitute them we most likely will get a different product.

Best regards,

Mirko
    You know, sometimes it takes a lot more resources to reinvent a product, then to invent a new product. Especially when some of the original ingredients can no longer be used, either because they are banned, or very expensive to use due to environmental regulations. Would be nice to see the cadmium enriched paper, but would people be willing to spend say €500 for a box of 20 8x10 sheets of it.

So if your looking for a warm toned paper, what features should it have? Don't say to look exactly like paper X that was discontinued a donkeys age ago, people forget the difficulties in working with a particular paper and just remember the good stuff.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

And we all here hope you do! It's always a treat to get first hand information from the source, and we very much appreciate your openness and accessibility.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Justin,

Best regards,

Mirko
    Hi Mirko,

I can only wish you all the luck you need in this great endevour. Offcourse, if my stack of Polywarmtone runs out i will be buying...

Jaap Jan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin