Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,865   Online: 785

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using fiberglass screens for years with Ilford paper and have never had a problem of the screen pattern being imprinted on the face of the print.

Are you squeegeeing your prints on the screens themselves? I squeegee my prints on a sheet of glass, and then transfer them to the screens to dry. I gently lay the prints on the screens - not pressing down at all.

I will say that years ago I was told by someone that Agfa Portriga had the reputation that its surface was easily damaged, so I have always dried Portriga prints face up. Other than curling slightly more than prints dried face down, this hasn't presented any problems. So I would take that to mean that if you wanted to dry all your prints face up, you could certainly do so. The darkroom police won't care.

Ultimately, what really matters is what works for you. No one cares if you do things differently that other people.
    Louie

I think the answer is to clean the screens!

Ed

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had this problem intermittently with drying screens. I have several of the Zone VI drying screens. I placed the prints face down on the screens and occasionally the pattern of the screen was vaguely embossed on the print. Extremely frustrating when that happens. My screens were impeccably clean by the way. Then I tried drying prints face up but that exacerbated curl beyond an acceptable point.

I do not like to squeegee prints. I know that many people do, but I do not like anything touching the wet emulsion. I now dry my prints from a line without using a squeegee. If I have a lot of prints I dry them back to back which reduces curl. I found some excellent clips. I also clip the bottom corners of the two prints together. Since doing this, I have not had any embossing from drying screens, marred emulsions from a squeegee or and other problems.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by delphine View Post
    I am having a very high level of rejects of my final prints. I am seeing like tiny chips at the surface of the emulsion.
    Are you sure the "chips" are not pieces of your sponge? What kind of sponge are you using?

I use Ilford MG IV FB and Warmtone FB and I lay them face-down on a melamine coated MDF board (i.e. countertop) and then squeegee the back of the print only, and then lay them face down on fiberglass screens. No issues I've noticed doing that.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    If I have a lot of prints I dry them back to back which reduces curl. I found some excellent clips. I also clip the bottom corners of the two prints together. Since doing this, I have not had any embossing from drying screens, marred emulsions from a squeegee or and other problems.
    What sort of clips do you use? The ones I've been using leave marks on the paper...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Grenet View Post
    What sort of clips do you use? The ones I've been using leave marks on the paper...
    Mine do leave small marks on the paper. I always print with white borders that are trimmed when the print is mounted. I use the same clips for hanging negatives to dry. Here is a link:

http://www.craft-inc.com/gui/gui1/pr...d=1&value1=100
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    why is everyone afraid to squeegee their prints on the emulsion side?

no harm at all...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jerold!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know, come to think of it, I think when I had the trouble I was using Ilford WT, I remember wondering if I got a defective box. Huh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also, I dry mine face down on an ultra-clean as-lint-free-as-possible towel...never a problem with marks or transfer of schmutz.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin