Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,568   Online: 796

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Drying screens - screen pattern on paper

Hi,

I am having a very high level of rejects of my final prints. I am seeing like tiny chips at the surface of the emulsion. They are best detected when holding the print side ways. (Paper = FB Ilford MGIV Glossy).

Whilst reviewing my rejects, I detected on one of the prints the pattern of the drying screens. I am using dedicated Kostiner drying screens. Nothing else than properly washed prints ever go on the drying screens.
    I sponge the water out on the emulsion side of the prints before laying them emulsion side down on the drying racks.

Have any of you experienced this problem? what are your recommendations to alleviate this issue.

Thank you for your help on this,

Best

Delphine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They are sticking a little, so put them emulsion side up.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I dry prints face down on fiberglass screen too, after using a squeegie to wipe water off both sides. Works great and the prints dry pretty flat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe the screens need cleaning? Face up would be the safest, though.
    I think a couple of oz of clorox in a gallon of water is recommended once in a while. Someone else may know better. I used to use screens, and hang my prints up now to avoid this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had this problem also, but since I started using a squeegee to get most of the water off the prints prior to them going onto the screens, I haven't had a problem.
    This was particularly bad, because even though I have an archival print washer, and my fiber based prints are usually in there for 3-4 hours, when I commenced with toning the prints, those 'patterns' from the screen would readily appear as uneven toning.
    So what I do now is squeegee, then hang up for an hour, then the screens. No more problems and reasonably flat prints. I use Ilford MGIV warmtone, so it's a similar product.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I forgot to mention that indeed, the prints were toned. So I take on-board Thomas argument.

I think that my sponging which is done with a soft tissue is equivalent to your squeegeeing. I find it that MGIV curles substantially more than WT, they would be very difficult to work with if they were drying face up.:rolleyes:

I'll try hanging them as you suggested before laying them on the screens.

Any other suggestions ?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The only time I have had screen marks is when I have used no hardener in the fixer. Also Sepia Toning will re-soften the emulsion...I do not know about selenium toning, but I have not had problems after selenium toning.

If you do not use a hardener, hanging the prints or drying face up for awhile will allow the emulsion (gelatin) to harden on its own before putting them face down on the screens.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had this happen in the public darkroom where I print, I cleaned the screens with a bleach/water solution and it took care of the problem. If I'm feeling particularly paranoid about it, I dry face up. It does add more curl to the paper, though. I just checked my records, and I used a 50/50 bleach/water solution, rinsed THOROUGHLY, and put back in the rack to THOROUGHLY dry before I used them again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You may want to think about putting archival blotting paper on the screens and the squeeged prints on them to dry. Eliminates the possibility of marks from the screen. Silverprint have them in packs of ten, (bit bigger than 16x20) for about £5 plus VAT. Face down gives less curl. Except I think for Ilford Warm Tone Glossy FB which can stick to the paper, so is best emulsion upwards. Matt surface is fine. I did a load of Matt MGWT 20x24s today and they are hopefully happily drying face downwards, each on two sheets of blotting paper laid on my screens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I occasionally saw this with MGIV but it is more common with MG-WT. I now dry face-up for about an hour and place face-down when the emulsion has had a chance to dry a bit.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin