Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,195   Online: 750

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PJC

I exposed and developed a sheet of the Arista.edu ISO 400 in PyrocatHD and it's quite nice. I suspect it's Fortepan and I'm sending some to Sandy King for testing.

Without doing any scientific tests and only exposing one sheet of 8x10, it appears that an E.I. of 400 is appropriate. I developed it in PyrocatHD 2:2:100 for 9.5 min, minimum rotation @ 24C and the neg prints on Ilford MGIV warmtone, without filtration - very nice tonalities.

Regards, Pete

PJC

Greetings,

Sandy tested the film I sent him and here are his comments to me:

"The ISO 200 film is in my opinion clearly the same films that is sold as Bergger BPF, JandC Classic 200, and Fortepan 200. They are definitely of the same family with some minor differences, perhaps due to conditions of storage, emulsion batch, etc.

Same is true for the ISO 400 film. Definitely same as Fortepan 400 and JandC Classic 400."

Regards, Pete

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I am currently in the process of doing densitometry testing on the Arista EDU 100 films. I will report back in a week or so with some resulting images. I made some initial tests, but the lens' was damaged and did not stop down properly for the film speed testing. Just my luck. Will do it over soon!

Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My first 2 sheets of Arista.edu 400 8x10 film are drying right now. And from the look of it.. they are crammed with detail and tone.(whatever that means)

I used rodinal 1:25 8:30 mins at 20deg.
    and water for stop when i was done fixing in ilford rapid fix at 1:4 for 4 mins i turned on the lights and i was shocked to see the water the deepest purple i've ever seen. i was scared for a sec that i used something else than water.. one of the negs is really thin and maybe underexposed a bit(dark forest scene) and maybe all that silver had to go somewhere and water bath is where it is.

Tomorrow i will be printing them on Ilford MGFB warm and AZO 3 in Agfa Neutol WA 1:7 and maybe Rodinal 1:10
    I will let you guys know about the results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Deniz,
    The purple is the antihalation die from the film. Try pre-soaking the film in water before developing.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I did presoak the film for a min. Maybe needed more.
    There is one very wierd thing on one of the negatives. It looks like a hole. Just tiny (1mm radius) circle of clear film base. I am not sure why did that happen but i checked the film holders and everything but no visible problems.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz
    My first 2 sheets of Arista.edu 400 8x10 film are drying right now. And from the look of it.. they are crammed with detail and tone.(whatever that means)

I used rodinal 1:25 8:30 mins at 20deg.
    and water for stop when i was done fixing in ilford rapid fix at 1:4 for 4 mins i turned on the lights and i was shocked to see the water the deepest purple i've ever seen..
    Purple water would surprise me also with the Arista.edu film. If the antihalation die was purple, and this was really Arista.edu film, it could be that all of the film labeled as Arista-edu is not from the same source. The Arista.edu 200 and Arista.edu 400 films that I tested had a cyan colored antihalation backing, as do all of the the other films that come from Hungary (BPF, Foretpan, JandC) . Purple antihalation backing is typical of the Arista films made in England, same thing you see in Ilford FP4+ and HP5+.

I would personally be very irritated if I were a Arista user and found out that Freestyle was mixing film from the two soruces and selling it all as Arista EDU because the curve and CI characteristics of the films from these two sources is very different.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal turns a dark purple with many types of film, possibly a reaction with the sensitizing dyes. Konica 750 turns the rodinal pale yellow, and Ilford Pan F if I remember right did the same. You may have seen the carryover from the developer in the water.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just developed 3 rolls of 120 size Arista.EDU 200. It says "made in Hungary" on the package and the pre-rinse turns blue. I don't see any writing on the film itself. I've never used Forte, or any of the other Hungarian films mentioned in this thread, so I can't compare it to those. I'll have to wait for prints to really see what I think of it. Right now the first thing I notice is the very thin film base; thinner than any Kodak, Ilford, or Arista film I've used before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blue tint and thin film sound like the Maco film I use (which is supposed to be like Efke). Maybe it's an eastern european standart...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin