Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,628   Online: 983

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I just developed two rolls of Arista.EDU 100 in 120. If anyone cares, here are my thoughts:

1. My two minute pre-wash resulted in a lovely deep turquoise flood of anti-halation dye.
    2. The little strip of tape that attaches the film to the paper backing is god-awful to remove; it doesn't peel away cleanly like HP5+, APX 100, or Neopan Acros 100. I had to resort to scissors to get the stuff off -- Mildly irritating.
    3. There aren't any frame number or emulsion information printed on the film base. It's easy enough to figure out which side the emulsion is on because of the difference in texture, but, again, this is mildy irritating.

If the film weren't so gosh-darned cheap I would probably be irritated enough to stick with APX 100. As a starving student, however, I do what I can to cut costs at all costs!

I haven't tried printing the negs yet, but they look OK on the light table (I did 6 minutes in Rodinal 1:25 per Freestyle's recommendations). I'm not very experienced yet, so I doubt that my printing tests would be helpful anyway.

I noticed that the dev times for Arista.EDU 100 and Fortepan 100 in Rodinal 1:25 and D76 (stock and 1:1) are different on the Freestyle site and on the Massive Dev Chart. Maybe this stuff isn't from Forte after all?

All the best,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Forte I shoot has a really thick base and curls massively even after months of weights on them. This is the roll forte.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just noticed that this film has a horrible smell to it!!!! I don't mean up-to-the-nose smell, but merely from uncapping hte plastic canister!

Anyone else notice this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not unusual. When I worked in a darkroom I used to be able to tell tri-x from plus-x and a few others by the smell of the film. Ever get a waft from Kodak High Speed Infrared film? Very strange odor!
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    35mm
    I developed another two rolls of EDU 100 in 120 today -- I didn't notice anything particularly offensive about the smell, but the film definitely has an interesting bouquet. :-)

I developed in Rodinal 1:25 again today, but this time with no pre-soak -- the spent developer was colorless. Weird. I did notice a couple of places where the emulsion seems to have torn away from the film base on a frame from one of my rolls. I've never had that happen before.

I'm less and less enamored w/ the stuff ... but I still don't think that name brand film is worth the $0.80/roll premium.

-- Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I thought that the EDU 200 was stinky, and now that my rolls have dried they really want to curl.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe that you have confirmed the orgin - Hungarian Fortepan.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just returned from a shopping spree at Freestyle. Yes! it is Forte (as we figured). Both Film and Paper.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    OK, I did the testing tonight. EDU ISO 100 Version

Ilford Perceptol 1:3 @ 75F - Jobo CPE2+ (with water circulation pump )

5 Min Pre-Rinse
    12.5 Minutes Developer
    30 Seconds Stop Bath
    10 Minute Kodak Standard Fixer
    2 Minutes Hypoclearing Agent
    10 Minutes Final Rinse

Zone I: E.I. 50 (Density: .11)
    Zone VIII Density 1.27

Enjoy,
    Andy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin