Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,968   Posts: 1,558,495   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is anyone here willing to test out a new film/paper? The new arista.edu line is now out from www.freephoto.biz and the prices are outstanding if this is another set of rebadged Ilford products. 8x10 VC Fiber $34.99/100. 4x5 film 100 for $34.99. I will probably be buying some of the paper to test out whenever I get the chance, but if someone with more darkroom experience would like to take a crack at discerning which brand Freestyle is re-labeling please let us know!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    correction on the 4x5 film. It's 100 sheets of 200 speed 4x5 film for $29.99.

I wonder if this is the same product as the J&C 200?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Images
    just got the new freestyle catalog. $35 for25 sheets of 8x10. I wonder what this stuff is?
    hi!

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few weeks ago the Freestyle Photo website had a page introducing the new Arista EDU 100,200 and 400 films, stating that they are made in Hungary, which causes me to suspect that they are made by Forte. That info is no longer on their site.

gma

Images
    Yeah, the catalog says they are made for them in Hungary. I guess I will have to buy a box and see what it is like.
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    Yeah, the catalog says they are made for them in Hungary. I guess I will have to buy a box and see what it is like.

The 200 ASA Arista.edu films from Freestyle test almost exactlly like BPF 200 and JandC Classic 200. They are apparently all made at the same plant in Hungary and in my opinion are the same film. Any differences in performance are most likely due to minor variations in emulsion batches, age, and/or conditions of storage.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if you are comparing sheet film, wouldn't looking for identical notches on the upper corner tell you if it's the same film? Different notches might not neccesarily mean different film (the factory might cut it dif. for the many labels), but it might be worth looking into.

Images
    Andre, my experience is that with the Ilford made Arista Pro films the side markings on sheet and roll film are different. I am guessing that they are different on sheet film. I'll have to take a peek.

Sandy, thanks for the info.
    hi!

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will order a box of Arista EDU 200 4x5 sheet film in my next Freestyle order. I have two fresh unopened boxes of J&C Classic 200. I'll shoot film from each box using two setups, one in full bright sun and one in deep shade with a long exposure. Any other suggestions for the test?

gma

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I stumbled into this while browsing the freestyle web site:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/news.php#
    (look on Jan. 2004)

There they state that arista.edu is manufactured by a famous european line...

Might be too little too late, but that's my contribution to the cause.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin