Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,509   Online: 768

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm going away for a longish break to somewhere hot and sunny right after Christmas. I will be bringing, perhaps ill-advisedly, a couple of rolls of film I've never tried before - most of my BW film experience has been with Fuji Neopan Acros as well Agfa Scala slide film. The new films I'm trying out are:

1) Ilford FP4 ISO 125
    2) Ilford Pan 50

Can anyone enlighten me as to the characteristics of these films? I.e how are they for high-contrast situations, what is the grain like, etc etc?

Thanks in advance!
    Jin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jin, my favourite film is FP4. It is very fine-grained and very easy to use. It is also very forgiving.
    I develop it in D76 1+1, 9,5 minutes, 20°C.

Good luck and have a good holiday!
    Anne Marieke

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also like FP4. I rate it at 100 and develop it in D-76 1+1 for 9 min 20*c. Pan F is nice, and from what little experience I do have with it, can tell it can be pretty contrasty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tips!

I haven't got any darkroom experience yet - something I've got to learn next year, once I get the initial set-up sorted - but then I'll be playing with test rolls and not my holiday shots. I hope an average minilab will do a reasonable job with these.

Shooter
    35mm
    An 'average' UK minilab isn't going to have a clue what to do with FP4 and Ilford Pan - though if your minilab can cope with Neopan Acros they are well above average, and should be OK!

my local minilab struggles with C41 :o

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Since I've always used slide film since getting back into photography, I am sadly totally ignorant about darkroom processes *blush*. I know that certain developers go with certain film types. What happens when you send your roll in to a minilab just to process negatives? (I've long given up hope of minilabs ever reliably producing half-decent prints, that's why I started using slides). Do they use one-developer-fits-all? Will the quality of your negs be affected adversely by sending the film to the wrong minilab?

I usually send my film rolls to pro labs to get them processed but it is getting too expensive, so I am looking into learning how to develop my own negs early next year. I have millions of questions. Still, I guess I've got to start somewhere.....

Jin

Shooter
    35mm
    Most minilabs do C41 only which is for colour print and a few chromogenic black and white films (Ilford XP2, Kodak T400CN, Fuji Neopan 400CN, and one or two others). Its no good for FP4 or Pan though.

I use peak imaging for develop only at about £3 per roll. I only use them for C41 films, but they can do conventional black and white too. They are more expensive if you want prints done as well.
    They're at http://www.peak-imaging.com/ which is a UK site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, I used Peak Imaging until earlier this year when the postal service in my area went awry and I lost 2 packages in the post (including one special delivery), and a set of BW prints from Peak. I was compensated for the loss, but of course, that made me queasy about sending any film in the post again.

So I use pro labs (Metro Imaging and Primary UK) in London, but they cost an arm and a leg!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Personally, I LOVE Pan 50. Wish they made it in 220. I almost never shoot 35mm, but when I do (provided there's sufficient light) Pan 50 is always my first choice. Gorgeous tonality, and extremely smooth tones.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Love your pics at geekgirls!
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin