Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,767   Posts: 1,484,165   Online: 821

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Poco,

If you mean Dektol, instead of D76, the only difference is Ansco 130 uses less Metol and has the Glycin added.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jim,

No WONDER I was getting crappy results!!!

...yes, I meant Dektol. :oops:

Images
    I did another session using Ultra Black last night with a wider variety of negs. I am trying it because I want to get more snap in my shadows without going to additional toning steps. I have to say that it gives a noticable improvement in that area. I am liking it so far.

Mike,
    That is of definite interest to me. This sh...ahem...stuff is pretty expensive next to Dektol and I haven't been printing all that frequently. I gave my bottle of stock solution a poot of butane as suggested by various arsonists here on APUG to displace the air in the bottle. Hopefully this will extend it's usable life. I'll let you know how it works out.

On the topic of paper developer shelf-life: I split a gallon bag of Dektol powder into sizes to make indivdual quarts and bagged them in zip-lock bags. I was amazed at how quickly the powder discolored in these air tight bags. When mixed it is the color of strong tea. I'm going to try it again using a vacuum bagger/sealer and see if that works any better.

Cheryl,
    Would you mind telling me the dilution, dev. time and paper that you are using?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Flotsam - as one of the now reformed arsonist I can now recommend using dustoff or other similar products instead of butane. They seem to be absorbed into the developer but don't react with it. In other words dust off works as well as butane unless you want to light a cigarette.

Shooter
    35mm
    I saw somewhere that someone (Ctein?) compared Ultra Black and Dektol and found them equal.

Jorge O

Images
    I don't know, Jorge. I didn't do any densitometry but in my subjective observations comparing the two I'm seeing a definite difference. As I said, print the same negative a half a grade down and I see snappy shadows along with smoother mid tones.
    The image even comes up in the tray differently. Too bad it would be pointless to post my test prints.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neal, please keep me posted on how the how the gas works out. I really like this stuff as well, however in all fairness, haven't tried Dektol either. One possibility I was considering, was to separate into smaller bottles with no air. The bottle I was using was one of the larger qt. bottles, which as you pointed out = this stuff ain't cheap, and was 1/2 full (or 1/2 empty for those that see things that way!!) and was opened on 11/9. Had some Ilford Universal sitting around for 6 months that held up much better.

Does anyone have any experience splitting chemicals into smaller qty's/containers? Seems like we did this quite a bit when I worked in a medical lab( you know it's funny, got out of that field because it became to automated...missed the science of the older process, kinda like darkroom work).
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    35mm
    Mike

Its considered good practice to split developers in filled to the brim smaller bottles for keeping purposes.
    Use glass ones (beer?) and well capped for maximum keep.

Jorge O

Shooter
    Medium Format
    so no source for Edwal Ultra black in Europe or uk then?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin