Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,794   Online: 1117

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Hello:

Morgan & Morgan told me today they hope to reprint the New Zone SYstem Manual (yellow cover) within the next year.

While searching for a used copy, I was overwhelmed (well, not that bad) with too many versions with variations of titles a few years apart, 1968, 1970, 1993, etc.

Before I buy the 'wrong' book, which one is the 'classic' on Zone System to supplement the Ansel Adams Basic Series for a newcomer spot meter owner interested in using Zone?

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If we are on the same "wave length here", it is not the Yellow cover one. Rather than the white 8 X 8 book that sounds more like what you are looking for. I have one at the lab and will check for you when i go in on Sat. I made the mistake of getting the "yellow version" which was not what I needed.
    The other one has existence , specific information regarding zones on film , tonal ranges of paper vs film, testing, etc, etc. etc.

On another note I thought MOrgan and Morgan had folded their tent. At one time i had yearly subscription for their lab index which was a great reference source, but of course this is pre -websites. Had every spec sheet known to man and was update 4 times a year. In some ways I miss it. Still have what was left of the index. Comes in handy.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    OK - sounds like I want OLD not new...what confused me was subtitles...one referring to previsualization as the second line in the title, and another referring to Ansel Adam's method, but both supposedly having Zone System manual in the title...I wonder if the book locating service was feeding me related keyword items.

The one that goes into infinitesimal details of testing and getting it right is what I need. A year and exact title would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The copy I have is the 'Zone System Manual' - How to previsualize your pictures - by Minor White New revised edition. It has a yellow cover with gray and white stripes. The first printing of the new revised edition was in 1968. There was also a 'New Zone System Manual' that Minor White cowrote with Zakia & Lorenz. If memory serves that book had a white cover and may be the one Ann was referring to. The reference to Ansel Adams is on the title page of my copy. Hope this helps.
    Paul Hamann

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Based on your additional information I would suggest the New Zone system manual that was co authored with Zakia and Lornez.
    The earlier book (yellow version) does not go into the details and specifics as well as examples, diagrams etc.

Worth the money (IMHO). I gave away the "yellow version" and have had several of the others as I found it to be more useful. Someone else must have thought so as well, as it disapearred of the book shelve in my class room.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thank you
    Murray

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Check this morning. the edition is the 4th 1978, First edition was 1976 and it is THe New Zone System Manual coauthored with Zakia and Lornez.
    The other "yellow version" can be purchased used for a few dollars. This version is a little more pricey. around 25 if I remember correctly.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have a copy of the "white cover" book. I seem to remember that there are some things in that book that are not correct. I heard someone say it was like it was written by grad students and then they put their names on it without checking to see if it was factual. I don't know. I have used it over the years and everything I needed it for worked. I seem to want to say that the problems are when they recommend diluting the developer more and more to hold zone V and modify zone VIII. I just don't remember.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might also try a copy of Fred Picker's book "The Zone VI Workshop" which is available used and cheap. I found it to be much easier to understand with respect to film speed and development than Adams's book. Picker gives his information in a much more intuitive form and the language, while not as technical, is easy to follow and makes sense for a beginner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the yellow cover version - 1972 editon (cost $2.50, where did those prices go?) I found it very informative, particularly the testing procedures. However, I agree with noseoil that Fred Picker's book is much easier to understand.

I used Fred's methods for many years very successfully, but I'll add that now that I'm printing on Azo, I'm making extensive adjustments. As long as I was doing "normal" photography - enlarging - Fred's way worked fine.
    juan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin