Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,576   Online: 916

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Images
    I was just wondering: would enlarging a colour negative onto b&w paper (and using a b&w enlarger) result in a normal b&w photo? Or would the tones be all weird? Or would there be a picture at all?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It can be done, but:
    1- enlarging times are long
    2- contrast is very difficult to control - either all high contrast with no midtones or all midtones and no extremes.

I have done it in a pinch, but would not suggest it has a regular method. (for example a friend of mine loves B&W so I re-printed his favorite color wedding picture in B&W as a Christmas gift one year - never ever again - and this is my best friend)

There are specialty B&W papers that are for printing color negatives, I have not used them. I belive they have a higher ASA to resolve probelm #1.[/u]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak used to make or still makes a special paper for this purpose: Panalure.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    did one the other night, Fuji Superia 400 neg onto Agfa RC paper. I ended up using a 0 filter and the exposure time was relatively normal (this is after starting at grade 4 and a long exposure since that's what I've always read) Either way, the tones were all out of wack... skin came out much darker than it should, but the rest was somewhat ok. SInce this pic was of my son and we want it for a 'his 1st 12 mths' theme, I'll have to get some panalure and try that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used panalure a few times and had good results from it. I was a while ago, but I seem to remember something about having to keep the safelights off. Best to read the Kodak info before you start.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    that is correct, it is not 'safe''

now i remember why the one package i bought is stiill chilling in the fridge.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've just uploaded an image taken with color film and printed on "regular" black and white paper (variable contrast) - to the "Experimental" Gallery. You might get some indication of "tone" distortion ... not always a "bad" thing. Not easy to get to this "balance".

Scanning is always a problem.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been thinking about trying the Panalure also. I almost bought some on ebay, but was scared off when the seller told me that it is not variable contrast paper. Can anyone confirm that?

I print some color stuff on b & w paper once in awhile. Sometimes I get that great photo when I have color film in the camera instead of b&w, but I want to be able to play with it. I think I used a grade 1 or 2 filter to try and even out some of the oddities. I have about 45 rolls of color negs from a Europe trip in the late 90's that I'm planning on going back to and playing with some day. I did a coupld shots and they came out prety cool. I think you probably could pick them apart from true b&w negs if you really were into it, but then again, they can look good anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    that is correct it is not variable contrast. it has three grades. L - low, M - medium, H- High contrast. kodak's website states that L and H have been discontinued.

it also states that it is safe under Kodak 13 Filter safelights. (my statement before was based on the red circle with the big red line going through it on the packaging and the word safelight underneath the red-line)

here is the link for tech sheets the tech sheets describe a method using colored filters to control tones, in a manner similar to using color filters to control negative contrast during exposure

guys, I was in a pinch for b&w film once, and have a couple of rolls of that C41 processed b&w film. Is this enlargable using normal paper, or is it like the negatives you guys discussed on this thread??

thx
    Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin