Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,924   Posts: 1,522,105   Online: 798

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta 400

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all!
    I'll try delta 400 again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When trying different developers in order to compare results, you need to ensure that the development time is giving identical (or at least similar) negative contrast.

Otherwise, one developer will give "grey" results and another will give harsh contrasty results. But the difference will be more about the degree of contrast (development time) than difference between the developers' characteristics.

I tried Delta 400 4x5" sheet film a few years back and found I needed to rate it at around EI 160 or 200. I developed in X-tol and in PMK. As the others have said, finding the right exposure/development varies by developer. I stopped using it after initial tests since it was no faster than - and offered me no advantages over - other films I was testing. This was about 10 years ago, and it is likely that the emulsion formulation has been changed over time. Some people love it, so, obviously, it works for them. I happen to love Delta 100. I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sbelyaev View Post
    ...In general I like look of APX100, APX400 or HP5+, but I'd prefer smaller grain...
    ...Where did I go wrong?...
    Maybe you didn't use a big enough negative? If you are shooting APX100, APX400 or HP5 in 35mm and like everythng except the visibility of the grain have you tried a medium format camera with those films? If not that will most certainly get you the same look (curve & contrast) with less grain (or print smaller from 35mm).
    Sorry if this sounds obvious but it is true.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    I tried Delta 400 4x5" sheet film a few years back and found I needed to rate it at around EI 160 or 200. I developed in X-tol and in PMK. As the others have said, finding the right exposure/development varies by developer. I stopped using it after initial tests since it was no faster than - and offered me no advantages over - other films I was testing. This was about 10 years ago, and it is likely that the emulsion formulation has been changed over time. Some people love it, so, obviously, it works for them. I happen to love Delta 100. I wouldn't give up on it just yet.

Peter Gomena
    Its much faster since being reforumlated about three or four years ago. It is in my experience, now faster than TriX and gives me box speed in dilute Xtol. In direct comparison to Neopan, it makes about the same speed, possibly a hair more. the new version apparently pushes well to 800.

Delta 400 in XTOL 1:1 gives a very nice negative that prints with a good tonal range on Ilford warmtone fiber base.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin