Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,883   Online: 951

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 400

Shooter
    Medium Format

Delta 400

I just want to find out whether I'm doing something wrong or my observations are typical for Delta 400
    I've tried Delta 400 several times in different developers and dilutions but could't get the look I wanted.
    In general I like look of APX100, APX400 or HP5+, but I'd prefer smaller grain.
    I developed delta 400 in rodinal special (different EI). The grain was fine, but the images looked gray (like digital).
    HC110 was not much better.
    Rodinal - very grainy.
    IL-11 - (1+1) grain was as big as it of HP5+ in Ilfosol 3, but the contrast was to high (highlight were not blown). Images looked very harsh.

Where did I go wrong?
    A useful advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Stan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you should use the film at a lwer EI, say 200 and cut your development times. I us Delta 400 and it's an excellent film.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've tried, but it completely ruined the highlights.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    this is an example of delta 400 in IL-11 (14 min)

http://flickr.com/photos/90094587@N0...26899/sizes/o/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have found it works great in DDx up to EI-800. Wonderful tones at EI-200. It is a wonderful versatile film that allows you to operate between 200 and 800 on one film type with excellent tone rendition. I always have rolls because of that>K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you need to do some proper testing to find your best effective EI and development times, Steve Simmond's has an excellent free article on the View Camera site.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like Delta 400, and I usually rate it at 400ASA and develop at standard times in Ilfosol 3

It isn't a traditional emulsion film like FP4 or HP5, as it uses "Core shell Crystal" technology so it will look a little different. I personally prefer the more contrasty look compared to HP5 which I find a little soft.
    However there are a lot of people on here who would probably disagree with me, to which I say use the material that gives the result you like.

For finer grain if you want to stick to Delta, there is the Delta 100 instead. I must admit I haven't noticed any particular abundance of grain, but I shoot this film in 120 at 6x9
    Last edited by Aurum; 03-06-2009 at 03:14 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Love the film and usually develop it in Xtol. Too bad they stopped making it in 4x5.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tried Delta 400 in Perceptol 1:1 but did not like the look. It looks just fine in D-76 1:1 with agitation once per minute. Delta 400 lives in my "walking around" outfit - a Rollei 35RF.

Cheers
    Morry Katz
    Lethbridge, AB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used Xtol 1+2. Looks fine with some subjects but it has a modern look to it and I suspect this is the issue you have with it. it looks nothing like APX100/400/TriX and never will no matter what you do to it. Works great for some images (especially high key or images where subtle greys are important) but works less well for a lot of people looking for a very traditional look. You might like to keep experimenting and then throw in some Neopan 400. This has much finer grain/higher resolution than Hp5+ and TriX and a look closer to the latter with a slightly modern twist. Its not a fine grained as D400, but not a million miles off. horses for course, as usual

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin