Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,206   Online: 833

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    It seems that if the Zone 6 compensating timer had included a pH meter somewhere in the loop, it might stand a better chance of satisfying Kirk.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    I've spoken with PE on phone and via email about doing a few experiments having to do with determining the effects of temperature and time on film results, I figure that I'll use a couple different types of film, as to make sure the results between them are fairly consistent. From the graph that PE had posted, it seems that DK50 and D76 have the most different lines, so I will use each developer at different temperatures and times with a a step wedge of known densities (IE. a stoufers step wedge). I will measure results with a densitometer and post them on here, if people are interested, I'll even repeat the experiment uses developers with differing developing agents, IE. pyro and paraminophonel and glycin developers.

Ben

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drazak View Post
    I've spoken with PE on phone and via email about doing a few experiments having to do with determining the effects of temperature and time on film results, I figure that I'll use a couple different types of film, as to make sure the results between them are fairly consistent. From the graph that PE had posted, it seems that DK50 and D76 have the most different lines, so I will use each developer at different temperatures and times with a a step wedge of known densities (IE. a stoufers step wedge). I will measure results with a densitometer and post them on here, if people are interested, I'll even repeat the experiment uses developers with differing developing agents, IE. pyro and paraminophonel and glycin developers.

Ben
    Be sure to record the pH of the working solution of the developer. That is something we rarely see in descriptions of developer experiments.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    Of course, that's all part of good note taking, heh. Most of the pH's can be calculated though, as well as determined empirically.

Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I will just try to develop at 20 degs C every time, or at least darned cloe LOL! This is waaaay too complicated for me.

I am quite partial to Xtol mixed with rodinal at the moment so I dont suppose I am going to find any published figures for that! I know some love to be super accurate, but I have found a bit extra here, or a touch too little there has no real impact on my ability to make a really satisfying print. still, it is nice to be able to get things right, consistent etc.

A simple question (I hope): By compensating by +/- 10% for every degree either side of 20, is this too much or too little compensation for most developers?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
    I think I will just try to develop at 20 degs C every time, or at least darned cloe LOL! This is waaaay too complicated for me.

I am quite partial to Xtol mixed with rodinal at the moment so I dont suppose I am going to find any published figures for that! I know some love to be super accurate, but I have found a bit extra here, or a touch too little there has no real impact on my ability to make a really satisfying print. still, it is nice to be able to get things right, consistent etc.

A simple question (I hope): By compensating by +/- 10% for every degree either side of 20, is this too much or too little compensation for most developers?
    Looks about average to me. Measure the pH, and if it falls in the range of the graph I sent, use the k that you read from it to calculate the development time at 10 degrees higher or lower. One of the lines on the graph that PE sent should have about the same change in time for 10 degrees. Shift the time scale of the chart so that your favorite developing time is where the line through 20 C crosses the time scale. You could make a sliding time scale so you could use the chart like a slide rule. If you do this, let us know.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks! Will set about measuring the pH when I get back to civilisation!

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    for what it is worth, the ilford tsble work very well for tmax films and d76and/or id11
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin