Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,874   Online: 949

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I apericate the Kodachrome post by Ektagraphic.
    While others fade away Kodachrome stays rich and vibrant.
    Jay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    If you are trying to get an antique, 50 year old shot look, try any of the ADOX CHS Art film. That's all I use for B&W. Truly a great film.
    ...and/or Efke 25/50/100, which are the same films as Adox Art 25/50/100. However, if you are going to use it in 120 format, I would go ahead and get the Adox instead of the Efke, as the spools come with a reusable storage tube. Unfortunately, Efke 400 is not anything but a rebranded modern emulsion, so 100 is your fastest emulsion of this type. Last I checked with Freestyle, they were using Agfa APX 400 for Efke 400.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As well as Foma 200 and 400, try the 100 too. Slower but a very classic look.
    You may like Neopan 400 too. A touch more modern than HP5 etc it has stunning tonality in Xtol 1+something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you miss the 1970's Tri-X look, buy a 400 foot roll of Eastman XX 5222 cine film and roll your own. It is about a 250 speed film, and has none of the fine grained improvements you seem to dislike in the newer Tri-X emulsions. Use Beutler's or Stoeckler's developer and you will have all the sharp, grainy and punchy look you want.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tri-X 400 is a great film but so is T-max 400. Maybe different but both are great!

Jeff

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I want a new '57 Thunderbird and 23.9 cent a gallon gasoline while we're at it please.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clay View Post
    If you miss the 1970's Tri-X look, buy a 400 foot roll of Eastman XX 5222 cine film and roll your own. It is about a 250 speed film, and has none of the fine grained improvements you seem to dislike in the newer Tri-X emulsions. Use Beutler's or Stoeckler's developer and you will have all the sharp, grainy and punchy look you want.
    Here are a couple of examples of what Eastman 5222 can look like. Both frames developed for about 7 minutes in D-76 1+1 at 75F. Printed on Arista.EDU Ultra RC, variable contrast paper, then scanned on an ancient flatbed scanner.
    Last edited by fschifano; 06-30-2010 at 02:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

GCP

Shooter
    Multi Format

Good 'Ole Tri-X

The backing used to be thinner. I recently found some ancient rolls of 120still sealed up and I just proccessed some of it. WoW! Still happening. I quickly rememberd how fragile the film used to be but after 18 years this stuff still rocks! The negatives are lovely. HP-5 is a good film and I have found it to be extremely versitile. Try exposing it at ASA 100 (off the charts)and process in HC110 in a dilution "H" (1:1 of dilution B) for 4-1/2 min at 20C with just sufficient volumn to fill the film tank. Stop developement using water, letting it coast, then fix it. You will be delighted, especially if you are shooting landscape in clear sky at a high sun angle.

GCP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Correction, 38 years old stuff! Unbeliveable!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Neopan 400 is for me as close as I can get to the "old Tri-X" look when developed in Rodinal 1:50

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin