Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,482   Posts: 1,571,166   Online: 1248

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

HP5 sheet film best developer to make the equivalent of tri-x in hc110

I would like recommendations on what developer would give HP5 the tonality of Tri-X in HC110. I have tried HP5 in Xtol with really flat and not so great results. Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Which tri-x? The 400 or the 320 speed stuff?

If it is just flat you just most likely didn't develop it long enough try adding 20% to the time and see what you think then.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Each film will require you to fine-tune your processing to get the results you want. The published times are really only a starting point. Why not develop your HP5 in HC-110 like the Tri-x you like? I don't mean develop for the same time as the Tri-x, but rather use the same developer, and arrive at a developing time that gives you the density you want.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, I think your best bet is HC110. It's got all of the same characteristics as HC110. Just find the right time, and you will be as close as you can get, I bet.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have used HP5 with HC-110, which is my standard developer - and have not liked the results. I would also like to hear about other combinations and perhaps see some results, if possible.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't believe you can do what you want. IIRC HP5+ has a very different characteristic curve compared to either of the Tri-X films. I don't believe that you'll find an HP5+ and developer combination that can replicate what Tri-X does with any particular developer.

If you want the Tri-X look, use Tri-X. It's still widely available. If you want the HP5+ look, use it. Still widely available also.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try HP5 in D76 / ID11. Find the shadow detail you want by bracketing a few sheets. Pick the best one. Shoot a few sheets at that exposure index, and now vary your development time and agitation to get the midtones and highlights you want. You can tweak how the film looks quite a bit.

Attached is a comparison of HP5+ and Tri-X 400 in 120, both developed in Edwal 12. Same scene, same exposure, same development time. Edwal 12 is much like D76 but with a bit more brilliant highlights and finer grain.

View especially the bark of the tree.

- Thomas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TX400-HP5Plus-Comparison.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordke View Post
    I would like recommendations on what developer would give HP5 the tonality of Tri-X in HC110. I have tried HP5 in Xtol with really flat and not so great results. Thanks in advance.
    You can still use HC-110 or Ilford`s equivalent Ilfotec HC with HP5 Plus, but HP5 plus has a kind of different look to Tri-X what ever developer you use.
    It`s neither better or worse, just a different look to it. Only you will know if you prefer it or not.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Try HP5 in D76 / ID11. Find the shadow detail you want by bracketing a few sheets. Pick the best one. Shoot a few sheets at that exposure index, and now vary your development time and agitation to get the midtones and highlights you want. You can tweak how the film looks quite a bit.

Attached is a comparison of HP5+ and Tri-X 400 in 120, both developed in Edwal 12. Same scene, same exposure, same development time. Edwal 12 is much like D76 but with a bit more brilliant highlights and finer grain.

View especially the bark of the tree.

- Thomas
    I do HP5 in Germain's Finegrain which is a high solvent developer and I love it...EC

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

hp5

funny how hc110 was the recommended combo by fred picker and ansel adams...hp5 and hc110 are an even BETTER combo than tri-x ever was....
    Best, Peter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin