Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,982   Online: 812

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Agfa Scala is still available from Maco.
    http://macodirect.de/agfa-scala-200x...lme-p-146.html

As far as I know, the last coating of rolls took place in 2005, then Agfa Photo went bankrupcy and the consumer film division was taken over by Lupus. Since the original factory was shut down, my guess is that the rolls of film were stored somewhere. Since this is a slow moving film (I loved it but there is no more a lab in Italy handling it now), and Lupus is mainly a trading company I guess they handled the cutting and packaging to a third party.

I have seen this with the CT Precisa slide film, the new ones have a box with Lupus logo on it and they look like packaged by Ferrania (former 3M film division). I have been told by a friend that works there that Ferrania bought some rolls of coated color film from Agfa bankrupcy stock. But I cannot state if they are also producing current Agfa line of consumer films and packaging what's left of the old.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We only can speculate on this.
    At the moment still Agfa Scala films with an expiry date still to come are offered. They have the Agfa rhomb as ikon. There is no hint at all that Agfa still produces Scala, rather the opposite.

Those films were most probably produced in Leverkusen by either Agfa or AgfaPhoto. Don't forget that the lifetime of AgfaPhoto as manufacturing company was very limited. So these films are either original stocks stored refrigerated and dated later. Or some kind of cool stored bulk film packaged now in remnants of cartridges and packages out of the Agfa era acquired in the AgfaPhoto buy-out.

In case those films were actually from AgfaPhoto, Agfa must probably allow them to be sold now under the Agfa brand. But even this seems possible as just now they licensed a german dealer to include `Agfa´ in the brand name of their conversions of current Agfa films.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wonder how long these 35mm films will still be offered?
    No way to make sure, that this is real Agfa Scala, not a substitute.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In case of suspicion on any film bearing the the Agfa-rhomb logo contact Agfa in Flanders.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    In case of suspicion on any film bearing the the Agfa-rhomb logo contact Agfa in Flanders.
    I have a strong feeling that I can complain to my auntie with the same result as to "Agfa in Flanders". Germans are no fools in any case. Printing meaningless digits and "Agfa Scala" on the film perforation area must be an easy thing to any company which possesses corresponding equipment. To forge the outer paper box must also be easy enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stated by OP: "So the question is open: can anyone think of a good proof that I (or B&H) was not fooled?"

Have you tried a roll yet? Is it ultra contrasty or not? As mentioned before, it is easily identifiable just by the contrast, when processed as a neg.

At this point, we should not be coming up with evidence that leads you to believe you were *not* "fooled". You should be the one that should be coming up with evidence that leads you to believe you *were* "fooled". Knowing that Scala is a dead film, and that anything being sold as new Scala is going to be a relabel, there is no reason not to trust B&H until something you see in the film proves otherwise. If you feel they made a mistake, I'd contact their customer service and ask them what happened; not hope to find the answer on the Internet.

Additionally, as mentioned before, any b/w film can be reversed. You do not need Scala to get a b/w transparency, so I would not pay premium prices for it, unless you want to use it as an extremely high contrast, sharp, and fine grained negative film.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-26-2009 at 05:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    La Chou,

Don't forget that Agfa not long ago tried (in vain) at court to get back their brand name AgfaPhoto (and maybe the ikon with the red dot). So I guess, even after dropping their consumer product business they will be eager to keep their brand free of any forgery, and thus to learn about any suspicious case.

Though, to my understanding, there is not yet a real sign of forgery.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    "So the question is open: can anyone think of a good proof that I (or B&H) was not fooled?"

Have you tried a roll yet? Is it ultra contrasty or not? As mentioned before, it is easily identifiable just by the contrast, when processed as a neg.

At this point, we should not be coming up with evidence that leads you to believe you were *not* "fooled". You should be the one that should be coming up with evidence that leads you to believe you *were* "fooled". Knowing that Scala is a dead film, and that anything being sold as new Scala is going to be a relabel, there is no reason not to trust B&H until something you see in the film proves otherwise. If you feel they made a mistake, I'd contact their customer service and ask them what happened; not hope to find the answer on the Internet.

Additionally, as mentioned before, any b/w film can be reversed. You do not need Scala to get a b/w transparency, so I would not pay premium prices for it, unless you want to use it as an extremely high contrast, sharp, and fine grained negative film.
    1) The matter is I have never seen the original Agfa before.
    2) I don't think one can rely upon "contrast" when assessing such a thing as "Scala" look.
    3) I wanted to find an answer of the kind: "if you apply a drop of that and that chemical to the film it will turn red if it is original Agfa Scala and anything else if it was a forgery.
    Or, for instance, "check the numbers printed on film perforation. They must belong to that and that range.
    4) From what I have seen around, it is my strong belief that no other film can give true "Scala" look.
    5) B&H are professional dealers, not photography geeks. They don't care much whether they sell original stuff or a forgery, since they know that there is no absolutely valid proof of originality in this particular case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LaChou View Post
    1) The matter is I have never seen the original Agfa before.
    2) I don't think one can rely upon "contrast" when assessing such a thing as "Scala" look.
    3) I wanted to find an answer of the kind: "if you apply a drop of that and that chemical to the film it will turn red if it is original Agfa Scala and anything else if it was a forgery.
    Or, for instance, "check the numbers printed on film perforation. They must belong to that and that range.
    4) From what I have seen around, it is my strong belief that no other film can give true "Scala" look.
    5) B&H are professional dealers, not photography geeks. They don't care much whether they sell original stuff or a forgery, since they know that there is no absolutely valid proof of originality in this particular case.
    Well, I guess you are just S.O.L., then! Enjoy your virtual Scala shooting experience, while I increase my enjoyment of APUG by clicking the ignore thread button.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-26-2009 at 05:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "At this point, we should not be coming up with evidence that leads you to believe you were *not* "fooled". You should be the one that should be coming up with evidence that leads you to believe you *were* "fooled"."

- It is very strange logic. I never tried Agfa Scala before, but even if I did, how could I claim to be "fooled" founding my complaint only on subjective things like "contrast"? Photography is also a science and an exact one. You must know for sure where you start and where you want to get.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin