Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,398   Online: 1083

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    What is S.O.L.?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The guy got mad because I am a woman, who doesn't listen to silly talk with her mouth open?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by LaChou View Post
    1) The matter is I have never seen the original Agfa before.
    2) I don't think one can rely upon "contrast" when assessing such a thing as "Scala" look.
    3) I wanted to find an answer of the kind: "if you apply a drop of that and that chemical to the film it will turn red if it is original Agfa Scala and anything else if it was a forgery.
    Or, for instance, "check the numbers printed on film perforation. They must belong to that and that range.
    4) From what I have seen around, it is my strong belief that no other film can give true "Scala" look.
    5) B&H are professional dealers, not photography geeks. They don't care much whether they sell original stuff or a forgery, since they know that there is no absolutely valid proof of originality in this particular case.

I understand what you're saying, LaChou, but I don't think that you're going to find a quick-and-easy litmus-paper test for Scala film.

However, it does seem that there is clear evidence that original Scala film is now being sold (quite legitimately) under different packings, but there seems no evidence whatsoever that there any "forged" film is being sold by B&H or anyone else. I do think that you might be looking for problems which don't exist?

I think that your comments in (5) above are a bit harsh to B&H, who seem reputable dealers...what makes you think that they "don't care" what they sell?

You say that you've never seen the original Agfa, yet you then say "From what I have seen around, it is my strong belief that no other film can give true "Scala" look." If you try the B&H version and that gives you the Scala look, would that not be proof enough that you have what you need.

P.S. I don't know what "S.O.L." means either?
    Last edited by railwayman3; 03-26-2009 at 06:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sh*t out of Luck... or some such. There's some good advice in this thread, if you don't want to take it, then don't. But let's tone it down...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    1) I meant that I have seen Scala results at Flickr and elsewhere.
    2) Agfa ceased to exist in 2oo4. How much "original" film should have been left by 2009? Can you tell when the last original Agfa's emulsion was coated?
    3) Due to my business I know Germans. They do not consider it to be forgery to take an easily available Sanyo battery, put it inside a small box and sell it along with their equipment as "an original and specialy designed for this particular device" at 10x of its price.
    4) Reversal B&W process is a "no fun" enterprise. I wouldn't bother with cancerogenic chemicals, if someone told me that my Scala is in reality APX100.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Sh*t out of Luck... or some such. There's some good advice in this thread, if you don't want to take it, then don't. But let's tone it down...
    I can't see any good advice yet. The guy with "contrast" would be a delectable prey for Russian photogs at any of their professional forums, had he known Russian. They would tore his post apart and would taste every single bit of it.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sorry that emotions run up that high...

Agfa is still alive, what went down is their `consumer product division´ and that manufuctured film until the end of 2005. Though nobody outside the industry will actually know how big the volume of stocked Scala film was then and when it was last coated.
    As I said above this all is speculation but on a somwhat reasoned base.

Perhaps someone with actual Scala experience could chime in and give some advice on the physical properties of that film.

Shooter
    35mm
    1) I meant that I have seen Scala results at Flickr and elsewhere.
    2) Agfa ceased to exist in 2oo4. How much "original" film should have been left by 2009? Can you tell when the last original Agfa's emulsion was coated?
    3) Due to my business I know Germans. They do not consider it to be forgery to take an easily available Sanyo battery, put it inside a small box and sell it along with their equipment as "an original and specialy designed for this particular device" at 10x of its price.
    4) Reversal B&W process is a "no fun" enterprise. I wouldn't bother with cancerogenic chemicals, if someone told me that my Scala is in reality APX100.
    1) I see what you mean.

2) Presumably the last "original" Agfa was coated when the factory in Germany closed...2004 or 2005? So any film now must be that old...guess it all depends on how it had been stored. I can only say that I have used the Precisa 100 and APX100 supplied by Lupus, and they are indistinguisable from the "Agfa-supplied" films.

3) Again, I see what you mean. That's not really forgery, though...I can buy a car battery from the main agency dealers, or get a similar battery at half-the-cost from an independent dealer. If I buy from the agency, I'm paying the extra for a known name, time-saving and convenience, and their technical knowledge of which battery I require.

4) Yes, I see....but all photo chemicals need appropriate care (as do many household chemicals). If you're worried about carcinogenic chemicals, I'd use one of the processing services.....the same chemicals will obviously be just as potentially harmful whether you are using them for Scala or APX.
    Last edited by railwayman3; 03-26-2009 at 06:58 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling...again!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "3) Again, I see what you mean. That's not really forgery, though...I can buy a car battery from the main agency dealers, or get a similar battery at half-the-cost from an independent dealer. If I buy from the agency, I'm paying the extra for a known name, time-saving and convenience, and their technical knowledge of which battery I require.

4) Yes, I see....but all photo chemicals need appropriate care (as do many household chemicals). If you're worried about carcinogenic chemicals, I'd use one of the processing services.....the chemicals you use will be just the same whether you use them for Scala or APX. "

My replies:
    3) Let me remind you that I was talking about Germans selling Japanese batteries of Sanyo make as their own, specialized batteries.
    4) I do everything myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't see any good advice yet. The guy with "contrast" would be a delectable prey for Russian photogs at any of their professional forums, had he known Russian. They would tore his post apart and would taste every single bit of it.
    That attitude would make them unwelcome here. A simple thanks, but no thanks on advice you don't want to take would be sufficient. We like to keep it cordial on APUG, and not eat each other up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin