Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,908   Online: 970

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    They, unlike English speaking people, can afford themselves to eat each other up on account of a particular subject, but they wouldn't put a label on you, because it is considered to be an off-line and a bad behavior among Russian speaking people. I don't know how it is with English language, but in Russian language there are many taboo labels, which mean "fight" once pronounced.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by LaChou View Post
    "3) Again, I see what you mean. That's not really forgery, though...I can buy a car battery from the main agency dealers, or get a similar battery at half-the-cost from an independent dealer. If I buy from the agency, I'm paying the extra for a known name, time-saving and convenience, and their technical knowledge of which battery I require.

4) Yes, I see....but all photo chemicals need appropriate care (as do many household chemicals). If you're worried about carcinogenic chemicals, I'd use one of the processing services.....the chemicals you use will be just the same whether you use them for Scala or APX. "

My replies:
    3) Let me remind you that I was talking about Germans selling Japanese batteries of Sanyo make as their own, specialized batteries.
    4) I do everything myself.
    O.K., then.......
    3) A battery which I buy from my Mercedes dealer is supplied as their own specialized battery....it could well be manufactured by Sanyo for all I know (or care!), nothing wrong with that if it's approved and warrented by Mercedes. Half the components of the car are made by other suppliers anyway, (though hopefully to Mercedes specifications and standards!)
    4) Fine...so do I whenever possible. But if I were really worried about the photo chemicals I use, I wouldn't be using them at all!

Anyway, most of use are on APUG in part to help one another so far as we can. And we do understand one-another's enthusiasm and concerns to make the best of our photography.

I have always particularly liked B&W reversal work, and my thoughts would be:-

I never got on as well with Scala as with the old Agfa Dia-Direct...maybe that was my methods and expectations, rather than blaming Scala. And, with the likelihood that any remaining supplies of Scala are now limited, my own suggestion would be to experiment with the reversal processing of other films (which hopefully will continue to be available) to get the effects and results which you want. The website at dr5 has some very comprehensive information and examples of what to expect from different films if you wanted to try their service, and there are numerous formulae available with a bit of searching on here and on the web generally.
    Last edited by railwayman3; 03-26-2009 at 08:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for your reply railwayman3,
    I visited Dr5 site, but it will be definitely easier for me to do my own processing, since I can buy almost ANY chemicals now in Ukraine or in the neighboring Russia. I also thought about finding a substitute to Scala but, after having re-studied the works of other photogs on Scala, I think that it is almost impossible. The Scala had something in its curve that made it stress both highlights and shadows. I can't name a film capable of that nowadays. Scala can uniquely treat some subjects, like Rokkors can treat blush on a white skin.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin