Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,798   Online: 691

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 61011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Ansco 130

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd second the comments about adding benzotriazole, without, however, dropping KBr too much. Used with MGWT it cools it just a touch, and it brings out more purple tone after Se, than a straight 130 followed by Se would do. Having said that, cooling off that paper is discussed in several other threads in more detail.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    How do you process? (Stand/inversion/rotary/somethingelse) and are your negs tending toward fine grain or high Acutance?

Thanks
    Just developed some tri-x 400 @ 400 negatives. Used nikor tanks but don't have a cap for it so I was doing figure 8s. 10 mins total, 10 seconds every 2 mins agitation, trying to retain some highlights. Negs look so far will print them this week.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    Just developed some tri-x 400 @ 400 negatives. Used nikor tanks but don't have a cap for it so I was doing figure 8s. 10 mins total, 10 seconds every 2 mins agitation, trying to retain some highlights. Negs look so far will print them this week.
    Thanks. That won't work (just went rotary) but thanks for the info, that's why I was asking. Be well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Thanks. That won't work (just went rotary) but thanks for the info, that's why I was asking. Be well.
    Stone, I'm not sure what is your concerns that makes you believe that "that won't work". If you are referring to Ansco 130 in general, as a film developer, then I won't comment, as I have not used it for film, though many others have. If, however, you are making a point about rotary development being fundamentally different from inversion agitation, then please reconsider. Leaving stand development aside, there is no fundamental difference between rotary and inversion processing, and one can be made equivalent to the other by adjusting the duration. For a given development time, using inversion agitation, rotary will produce the same results, in terms of the contrast (curve) for a somewhat shorter time, usually ca. 30% shorter time, depending on the rotation speed. Other than that, automated rotary is likely to give you better consistency, batch-to-batch, and perhaps fewer errors, but there is no difference as to it working with one developer but not another one, for normal applications.

To the best of my knowledge, if you would like to use Ansco 130 for film in a rotary processor, it certainly should work.
    Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    Stone, I'm not sure what is your concerns that makes you believe that "that won't work". If you are referring to Ansco 130 in general, as a film developer, then I won't comment, as I have not used it for film, though many others have. If, however, you are making a point about rotary development being fundamentally different from inversion agitation, then please reconsider. Leaving stand development aside, there is no fundamental difference between rotary and inversion processing, and one can be made equivalent to the other by adjusting the duration. For a given development time, using inversion agitation, rotary will produce the same results, in terms of the contrast (curve) for a somewhat shorter time, usually ca. 30% shorter time, depending on the rotation speed. Other than that, automated rotary is likely to give you better consistency, batch-to-batch, and perhaps fewer errors, but there is no difference as to it working with one developer but not another one, for normal applications.

To the best of my knowledge, if you would like to use Ansco 130 for film in a rotary processor, it certainly should work.
    There's another thread all about this that I created recently, but I can tell you for sure that you're absolutely incorrect. The time it takes to exhaust the dev in a given area by sitting for one minute vs constantly being replenished having no exhaustion gives completely different edge details, highlight details, shadow details, and grain structure changes.

Anyway I don't want to argue about it, just wanted to clarify something for myself and have now done so. If you disagree with my above statement, that's fine, but we will have to agree to disagree. Please continue discussing Ansco130 without me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some developers don't work well for rotary development, due to aerial oxidation - e.g. PMK - but I agree; I don't see why Ansco 130 wouldn't work. It's very resistant to oxidation compared to most developers.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rafal Lukawiecki see http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1607538 It describes the effects of agitation on developing.

I feel stoneNYC is not talking that it would not work in general, but for his rotary development method, my times would not work.
    Last edited by cjbecker; 02-09-2014 at 11:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Rafal Lukawiecki see http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1607538 It describes the effects of agitation on developing.

I feel stoneNYC is not talking about it would not work in general, but for his rotart development method, my times would not work.
    +1

I'm also more particular probably than I need to be. I've heard many good things about Ansco130

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    130 works wonders in a rotary system, also in small tanks, deep tanks, open trays stand and semi stand ( yadda yadda yadda ) ...
    you just need to tailor the times / dilutions to match your methods and film type.

it won't work for stone because it is a group of powders that he will have to mix up as a liquid stock developer.
    and he has recently said he has lab-restrictions that don't allow for mixology ( mixing powders to stock liquid developers ) ..

but it is a fantastic developer for film that i have been using for a long time, and its cousin ( gaf universal ) before that ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    CJ, the post, which you have referenced, seems to suggest that agitation has an effect on the curve, whether we call it contrast, or highlight detail. Assuming we are not talking about stand development, which is a somewhat different matter, and towards which the agitation at only every 4 min would tend.

I would expect that you would get the same differences in what you have observed as DMax and highlight detail, at least for the first 3 agitation regimes, simply by shortening or extending the overall development time, and retaining the same agitation technique throughout.
    Rafal Lukawiecki

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin