Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,711   Posts: 1,482,959   Online: 964

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Thread: Ansco 130

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ole -
    they say that ansco 130 is good for a month in an open tray )g(
    i wouldn't be surprised in the fx2 is good for about that long too

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On January 3rd Mike K Wrote

I have the 1979 Edition and page 452 it lists GAF 130 (Univrsal Paper Developer)

Water 750ml
    Metol 2.2 grams
    Sulfite 50. grams
    Hydroquinone 11.0 grams
    Sodium Carbonate 78 grams
    Potassium Bromide 5.5 grams
    Glycin 11.0 grams

Dilute 1:1 for normal use or 1:2 for softer working.

I have just checked Anchells Darkroom Cook book. This formula is exactly the same as the one Anchell gives for Ansco 130

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using this developer for about a year (the original solution) now with paper and I really love it. I'd really like to try it out on film now. My standard film developer is Pyrocat HD, and while is excellent for most subjects, I don't really like the way it yeilds skintones. A few of you posted the film dilution as 1:5 or so for somewhere around 5 minutes. Is this for 100 speed film? Does anyone have any film specific times for Ansco 130 as a film developer, or know where I could find them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the times/temps that i posted were pretty much for any film, any speed
    i have used it on forte, trix, plusx, tmax100+400.
    i had originally thought that ansco 130 was gaf universal and the time/temps were written on the "red can". i have since realized, thanks to the great folks here at apug, that it is indeed NOT the same developer ... but all that said, the dilutions + temp/time seem to work well ...

i really like what it does with sheet film - outside work as well as portraits. i haven't really done a lot with 130 + roll film - - so you might want to do some tests to see if what works for me, will work for you

good luck !

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks! I'll try it out on some 120 roll film this evening. Probably J&C Pro 100.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Francesco,

You may wish to review the write up on paper developers for AZO by Dhananjay Nayakanakuppam found on the Unblinking Eye.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Azo/azo1.html

His curve data seems to indicate that Ansco 130 with Glycin has a very similar curve shape to MS's amidol developer. I've not had a chance to try it yet but by my calculations the 130 formula could reduce developer cost by 50% or more per liter of working solution. AFAIK, Photographers Formulary are the only sellars of small quantities of Glycin.

It's not clear to me what the tray life of Anco 130 would be as compared to Amidol developer and the effects of water bath development as compared to Amidol.

Hope this helps,

Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    Francesco,

You may wish to review the write up on paper developers for AZO by Dhananjay Nayakanakuppam found on the Unblinking Eye.

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Azo/azo1.html

His curve data seems to indicate that Ansco 130 with Glycin has a very similar curve shape to MS's amidol developer. I've not had a chance to try it yet but by my calculations the 130 formula could reduce developer cost by 50% or more per liter of working solution. AFAIK, Photographers Formulary are the only sellars of small quantities of Glycin.

It's not clear to me what the tray life of Anco 130 would be as compared to Amidol developer and the effects of water bath development as compared to Amidol.

Hope this helps,

Don Bryant
    Been there, done that and reported the results in other APUG threads. To summarize:

My side-by-side print/developer test results comparing Ansco 130/Azo with Michael Smith Amidol/Azo resulted in a small but noticeable tonality advantage for Amidol/Azo.

I am planning some additional tests using Ansel Adams version of Ansco 130 in a split development scheme (as a soft working warm tone developer). I plan to soak the print in "straight" Ansco 130 for a short time, then transfer the print to the AA version and complete development. Water bath development is an additional contrast control treatment that is appropriate for Ansco 130 development.

Since I use both Amidol and Ansco 130 as one-shots, tray life is not an issue with me. I have found that 1 liter of either working developer will process at least 20 8x10 prints without any noticeable change in performance.

"AFAIK, Photographers Formulary are the only sellars of small quantities of Glycin. "

There are other sellers of glycin in small quantities, Bryant Lab is one. However, it appears that PF currently has the lowest price.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

I use Formulary/Ansco 130 at 1:2, 70 deg F, 2 minutes. Good results with MGIV, Galerie, and Seagull. I plan to try it with Azo.

Chris

Oh, yeah. I initially tried it 1:1 at 70 deg but found the print contrast a little too high for my liking. Dropping down to 1:2 reduced the contrast and maybe warmed the tone a little - still pretty neutral though.

Chris

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Been there, done that and reported the results in other APUG threads. To summarize:

My side-by-side print/developer test results comparing Ansco 130/Azo with Michael Smith Amidol/Azo resulted in a small but noticeable tonality advantage for Amidol/Azo.
    Tom,

Would you explain what you mean by "a small but noticeable tonality advantage for Amidol/AZO," in comparison to Ansco 130?

Sandy'

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin