Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,547   Posts: 1,573,007   Online: 858

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Thread: Ansco 130

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=dancqu]
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    My problem is with the raw glycin before it is put into solution. Wthin 4 weeks or so it has turned light brown and nowhere near as potent as fresh.

I've yet to order some glycin. Just how do you go about putting it
    into solution? Dan
    hi dan

if you buy your glycin from the formulary - ask them to send you the freshest glycin they have. they make it every week, and will be happy to hold your order and send you stuff "just made".

good luck!
    john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=Tom Hoskinson]

Agfa 8 Film Developer

Deionized Water @ 125 Deg F 750ml
    Sodium Sulfite 12.5 grams
    Potassium Carbonate 25 grams
    Glycin 2.0 grams
    Deionized Water to 1000ml

With half the carbonate Agfa 8 could pass as a glycin Beutlers.
    With glycin rather than metol in the Beutler formula, do you suppose
    it would work? I think it might work as well as Agfa 8 with some
    small adjustment in time. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=dancqu]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson

Agfa 8 Film Developer

Deionized Water @ 125 Deg F 750ml
    Sodium Sulfite 12.5 grams
    Potassium Carbonate 25 grams
    Glycin 2.0 grams
    Deionized Water to 1000ml

With half the carbonate Agfa 8 could pass as a glycin Beutlers.
    With glycin rather than metol in the Beutler formula, do you suppose
    it would work? I think it might work as well as Agfa 8 with some
    small adjustment in time. Dan
    In principle, yes.

Agfa 8 has a lot of similarity to Rodinal. To test your hypothesis, you could simply dilute the Agfa 8 stock solution.

I have used diluted (20:1) Ansco 130 for film development with excellent results.

BTW, both Agfa 8 and diluted Ansco 130 work well as "stand" developers.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=Tom Hoskinson]
    My Glycin is stored in amber glass containers which are
    kept in a cabinet around 21 deg. C under low humidity conditions.

Tri-Ess Sciences is a good source of those bottles. I've scores of
    them all equipped with the Polycone or Polyseal caps. I wonder how
    many who work in the darkroom are as carefull as myself in the sealing
    of their bottles. I take chemical longevity reports very guardedly.

As for glycin and for that matter phenidone, I wonder if those two in
    particular are in themselfs unstable. There are many reports of the two
    going bad in the bottle, so to speak.

If they are not unstable in themselfs, and they go bad within a few
    years, it"s likely due to the glass bottle having a leaky cap. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a kilo of phenidone from Ilford in the early 1970's and the remainder is stilll fully active. I broke it up into 10 100 gram lots, bottled it and sold 7 bottles at the time to friends. I have kept the remainder cool, dry and stored in sealed amber glass containers.

Dry phenidone powder has a very long shelf life - many years. In water based solutions, the shelf life is limited. Water based solutions of phenidone can lose strength and fail without warning.

On the other hand, phenidone dissolved in glycerine, glycol or triethanolamine has a very long shelf life (as long as no water is added).
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    I bought a kilo of phenidone from Ilford in the early 1970's and the remainder is stilll fully active. I broke it up into 10 100 gram lots, bottled it and sold 7 bottles at the time to friends. I have kept the remainder cool, dry and stored in sealed amber glass containers.

Dry phenidone powder has a very long shelf life - many years. In water based solutions, the shelf life is limited. Water based solutions of phenidone can lose strength and fail without warning.

On the other hand, phenidone dissolved in glycerine, glycol or triethanolamine has a very long shelf life (as long as no water is added).

Tom,

I also have some very old phenidone that appears to be fully active.

On the other hand, I checked a small bottle of glycin from the same period and it was totally worthless. The white powder was very dark brown and had virtually no activity.

Does glycin dissolve easily in propylene glycol? If so this his might be a good way to store it.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    Tom,

I also have some very old phenidone that appears to be fully active.

On the other hand, I checked a small bottle of glycin from the same period and it was totally worthless. The white powder was very dark brown and had virtually no activity.

Does glycin dissolve easily in propylene glycol? If so this his might be a good way to store it.

Sandy
    Sandy, my tests show that glycin is only slightly soluble in propylene glycol - even at elevated temperatures.

However, propylene glycol still might be a good way to keep premeasured amounts of glycin stable by preventing or retarding oxidation(even though only a small percentage dissolves in the PG). It is worth trying (before my current supply of glycin goes bad).

Glycin does dissolve in triethanolamine (TEA) at high temperatures. However, a TEA/glycin stock solution that I recently mixed (about 2 weeks ago) has changed color and separated into two distinct layers. I need to test the stuff and see if it is still active.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may also want to try a few of the ketones, aldehydes, or ethers. Something is bound to work. Have you tried acetone? Its highly volitile, but should be ok, as long as its left capped. I may try that this evening.
    RL Foley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverpixels5
    You may also want to try a few of the ketones, aldehydes, or ethers. Something is bound to work. Have you tried acetone? Its highly volitile, but should be ok, as long as its left capped. I may try that this evening.
    I've tried several alcohols, none worked. Haven't tried acetone.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    jckspc has the following in thir glossary:
    Quote Originally Posted by jackspc.com
    GLYCIN
    CAS No 122-87-2
    Other names: p-Hydroxyphenylaminoacetic acid; p-hydroxyanilinoacetic acid; para-oxyphenyl glycin; para-oxyphenyl glycocoll; and a number of trade names (Athenon, Glycin, Iconyl, and Monazol).
    Description: The very small thin plates, occurring as a white powder, are almost insoluble in water, acetone, alcohol, benzenc, chloroform, ether, ethyl acetate, and glacial acetic acid. A 3% sodium sulfite solution at 60°F will dissolve almost 13% by weight of Glycin, thus the recommendation to add the sodium sulfite before the Glycin when making developer solutions.
    Precautions: Avoid repeated or prolonged contact with this compound as kidney damage has been reported from persistent contact. Keep container closed and use with adequate ventilation. Do not breathe dust or swallow, Wear safety glasses or rubber gloves when handling and wash thoroughly after handling.
    First Aid: In case of contact, flush the eyes or skin with plenty of water. If swallowed, induce vomiting by giving a glass of lukewarm salty water (2 teaspoonfuls of table salt to one glass of water). Call a physician.
    So maybe you need to make a sulfite solution first to dilute glycin.
    Mama took my APX away.....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin